We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for your first visit to NYC

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
804 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for your first visit to NYC

Having just returned from a grat eight days in NYC, these are a few of the thoughts that come to mind:

Take the best walking shoes you can afford and walk as much as you can. It is the very best way to see/esperience/feel the city.

Take clothes for heat if you go in the next several months....the humidity makes it seem even hotter than it is

Divide your days into neighborhoods and identify what you want to see/do in each. All are very different...Soho very trendy; Chelsea, artsy, fun to visit Chelsea Market; Greenwich, charming and fun; midtown, busy and professional; Time Square completely insane; Upper West Side, full of life, Upper East Side...very classy, clean, and reeks of old $$$.

Allow plenty of time to spend in Greenwish Village and consider taking the Food Tour which is also full of historical information and interesting comments on village life. Also includes a visit to Chumley's, something I would never have found on my own.

Ride to Brooklyn, walk on the Promenade and walk back over the bridge...the views are incredible.

The Harbor Lights Cruise is a different perspective and really neat when the lights of the city come on.

You don't have to spend a fortuyne on food....but do allow a splurge or two.

Take lots of photos so you will remember everything.

Use the subway. I never felt uncomfortable, people were very helpful when needed for direction, and the musicians and dancers are amazing, especilly around the 42nd street station. It can be confusing but I was doing fine after the third day, well, most of the time!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for your first visit to NYC

Thanks for the great, practical advice! I will be in NYC July 3, and was considering the Harbor Lights Circle Line cruise also. Anything else I should know? (When to get there, where to sit, is there food, drinks, bathroom on board, etc.?) Thanks!

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
804 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for your first visit to NYC

Hey, tattoo, you will love NYC. Regarding the Harbor Lights Tour, it boards , I think, at pier 84, you can find out for sure at Circle Line Tours website. There are restrooms on the boat, and you can buy sodas & drinks and simple food like popcorn, pretzels, etc, but nothing fancy. It was overcast/raining when we went so the boat was not crowded and it was easy to mill around from one side to the other for optimim views and photos. It goes south around the bottom of Manhattan Island and passes the SOL & Ellis Island. There is a guy who points out and describes landmarks and buildings, etc. It was a nice perspective on the city and lasts two hours.