We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking accommodation early

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Booking accommodation early

Hi,

I've been scouring the net for hotel deals forthis coming christmas. My boyfriend & I are planning to stay in NYC for 10 nights from the 23rd Dec to 2nd Jan.

I've had little luck trying to find any accommodation. Am I too early? When would a good time be to start finding good deals? We are looking at up to AUS$4000 so around USD$3500, for the 10 nights. Either a serviced apartment or a hotel room with tea/coffee facilities, toaster, fridge.

Thanks for your help.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking accommodation early

as it's over the New Year, I doubt hotels will need to offer that good a deal to sell their rooms.

I'm sorry I have no idea what the exchange rate of the Aus$ is, so I don't know what sort of prices you are getting quoted.

But that time is one of the busy times of year, so finding bargains and good deals on hotels is tougher. And it's one of the real busy times, so rooms will fill up.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking accommodation early

www.radiocityapartments.com have availability for your dates and come in way under budget at $2631.29 for the 10 nights. Personally looking at the prices from this year I dont think you'd get better than that plus you can always cancel it if you do finda better deal nearer the time.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking accommodation early

oh and if you're interested in Radiocity I'd book NOW whilst they still have availability remember it is cancellable should you need to but if you delay it probably wont be available for long!

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking accommodation early

I doubt you will find bargains at that time of the year. I would book now. The Radio City Apartments gets good reviews. Very good midtown location, half a block to Times Square.

Another budget hotel that gets good reviews is the Newton.It is on the Upper West Side, a 10 minute train ride to Times Square.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking accommodation early

There will be no "deals" for your entire stay. There may be better prices for the first part of it thru Dec. 29 or 30 but the last few days are always pricey. If you don't mind cheap and cheerful, Radio City is certainly a good option and I agree you could book it and it's cancelable.

I do think it may be early for a lot of the reservation systems online, but I would phone or email now.

Some of the www.affinia.com hotels are nicer and have kitchens but only the Aff. Manhattan shows availability online for your dates (and while it's a bit nicer than RCA, I don't like the location as well). I would email or phone Affinia to find out if it's just too early for their system or if they're actually so fully booked that far in advance. I'd be surprised. The Shelburne Murray Hill (one of their other hotels) shows availability on a website gtahotels.com (on a link from kayak.com) for both a studio and a 1 bedroom suite within your budget. I think this hotel should be fully renovated by your stay and everything would be new.

The San Carlos is another nice apt/hotel and it doesn't show availability, so I'd email or phone them as well if you like the looks of it.

On a search on kayak.com the NY Hilton is $314/night (plus tax which is 15%) so a bit over budget. You might be able to do better if you phone.

There are some lovely b & b's that are more like apartments if that interests you. You won't have daily maid service and the cancelation policies may be a bit stricter. A few options are

wymanhouse.com

west-eleventh.com

countryinnthecity.com

While apartments are in general pretty dangerous (lots of scams) there's an apt. we know is legitimate (and good) here

bigapplegetaway.com

that's available. Again, this doesn't include daily maid service but I would imagine the owner would be able to arrange something as the rate should be below your budget. It's in a building called Executive Plaza on 8th ave. & ~ 51 st.

Fort Myers, Fl
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking accommodation early

I booked Millennium Broadway for $240/night without taxes a week ago for New Years. You have to put in promo code zoo. It is cancelable up to the day before you arrive. This hotel is on TS.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking accommodation early

Thanks for all the replies. But I really just need to know when most of the hotels sites would start to show prices? The affinia has told me to try again in a few months. I dont want to miss out on anything though.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking accommodation early

Yes book early.I book for my extended family and last year was able to book a 2 bedroom apt in Affinia Gardens for $A600 in february for december.Another 2 bedroom apt came up in November for december and it was $US1500 a night.So dont think there will be last minute specials.

Keep looking at their website.I have just checked your dates and the Affinia Manhattan is showing availability.A 1 bedroom apt is $US3300 non-cancellable or $3600 cancellable.This includes all taxes.

My guess is the others in the Affinia group will be loaded soon.

9. Re: Booking accommodation early

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 05:31