We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to find a hotel.....

Douglas, IOM
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible to find a hotel.....

Hey Everybody

Please can anybody tell us if it is at all possible to find a decent/clean hotel in central NYC for under $100 per night?

This is our 2nd visit to NY and last time we went we never spent any time in our room/hotel so dont see the point in paying extra $ for something that we are not going to be there to enjoy.

We appreciate that we are not going to get the Ritz or the Four Seasons for this price range, but we are just looking for something central/cheap/clean and safe..........if there is such a thing in NYC.

Thank you to everybody who replies.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
921 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

Afraid to tell you it is impossible to get a hotel...any hotel in Manhattan or even the other boroughs or in NJ for that price. I believe hostels or rooms with shared baths even start around $150.

Even if you are not spending much time in your room, the rates will stay high above the $100 per night rate.

In all of my travels, even outside of NYC, I don't think I have ever come across such rates ANYWHERE in the US!

Look into hotels outside of Manhattan (perhaps the Pan American hotel in Queens) for more reasonable rates. There are also a few other hotels in Queens that may come close to your budget, but it does take some work to find them.

Good Luck.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

You might find a private room in a hostel with shared bath for ~ $99/night or perhaps less. The Vanderbilt YMCA is worth checking. Hostelz.com is a website with a search engine for hostels and also has reviews.

There's a place called Leo House run by the Catholic church that is very bare bones and I think charges $100/night but has limited openings. You must book 3 months in advance by regular mail or fax. Info here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k602672-…

You might be able to find a private room in someone's apartment (basically sharing their apt.) for less than $100. citylightsnewyork.com is an agency that arranges this.

Whatever you do, please don't fall prey to the alarming number of internet scams for apartments that sound too good to be true. Do NOT wire anyone money into a bank account for anything! If you consider a hostel, make sure to read all reviews here and elsewhere. Don't consider an apartment unless it's through a reputable company.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

Should have added timing is key. Prices fluctuate dramatically depending on when you come. July/August and Jan-March are cheapest.

Pitman, New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

If you are off-season you can get better deals but it's not likely to be under $100 in midtown Manhattan. I just stayed at Park Savoy on 58th between 6th and 7th Avenue and found an online rate of $119. That was by far the best rate I could find in convenient areas of the city, and this is definitely a great location for almost any tourist activity you'd want. Others that were low rates had shared bath, which is okay but it is nice to have private bath.

Like you, I don't want to pay much for the room so as long as it is clean and convenient I am happy.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

www.bedandcoffee.com starts at $120 a night including taxes, friendly place a little walk to the nearest subway and not great if you're a light sleeper, but clean, comfy and the owner is lovely.

www.secondhomesecondavenue.com starts at $115 BEFORE TAXES (approx $133 with), better location imo than East Village Bed and Coffee - friends stayed here and really liked it.

www.chelsealodge.com $129 BEFORE TAXES, (bout $150 with) stayed here, loved it, great area, get your own shower, share a toilet (never saw another sole) very clean.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

Just noticed www.thehotelnewton.com has rooms from around $105 BEFORE TAX for a shared bathroom.....depends when you're thinking of coming

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

To reinforce what others have said, the time of year of your visit is very important to your quest. I just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 29th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues (January 2 - 6) for $94/night. I found this through Hotwire; with fees and taxes it came to around $113/night. Right now on their website, the same room for a weekend stay in April is going for $281/night. As you can see, timing is everything.

That being said, I think it will be very hard to find a room under $100, including all taxes and other add ons. Good luck.

Douglas, IOM
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

Thanks everybody for all replies - i'll take a look at everything you guys have mentioned and see what I can come up with.

Incidentally, the dates that we will be looking for will be Thurs 4th Sept through to Tues 9th Sept.

Thanks aagain to everybody

Isle of Man

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

For those dates you will be hard pressed to find anything decent at $100 in Mahhattan. The first week in Sept is the alwyas very busy. Average rates in 2007 were about $300-350/night.

10. Re: Is it possible to find a hotel.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 02:18