We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap and Cheerful hotel needed (December!)

Dublin
10 posts
Save Topic
Cheap and Cheerful hotel needed (December!)

Hi there,

We're planning on going to New York early December '08. It'll be our first time to go, so we really have no clue where's good to stay. I know the prices increase dramatically in December but we really want a taste of the New York buzz at Christmas time.

We can't afford too much, we were hopin for somewhere in a central location for $200 per night max.

I don't know if that's possible for December in New York but if anyone could help me I'd be so grateful!!

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap and Cheerful hotel needed (December!)

Slightly over your budget www.greenwichvillagehome.com is an apartment in Greenwich Village, breakfast is provided in the form of fresh bagels or muffins, unlimited tea/coffee/milk and juice.

If you are happy to share a bathrrom then www.chelsealodge.com (you get your own shower but share a toilet - never saw anyone in the week we were there tho!) Small but comfortable and quiet rooms. You could check out their apartments which have their own facilities too www.chelsealodgesuites.com

www.secondhomesecondavenue.com - Union Sq area, friends stayed here and enjoyed it. I think they also have rooms with facilities.

A hotel worth looking at is the Newton on the Upper West Side - www.thehotelnewton.com - I stayed here a couple of years ago, clean, a little dated but comfortable and the subway is right outside the door.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap and Cheerful hotel needed (December!)

VERY unrealistic budget for December unless you find a hostel or other bohemian type accommodation.

On top of the room rental fee there will be taxes and service fees bringing the price even higher.

For a decent hotel in NYC in December plan on $300 minimum per night and that might be out of midtown.

Check the hotel listings to the left of these posts for some ideas.

The Hotel Stanford on 32nd Street has some decent prices - check them out - just stayed there, very low rates now and I think their peak rates are more reasonable than other hotels.

Good luck.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap and Cheerful hotel needed (December!)

Early Dec. is the most crowded and very priciest time to come. I really think you should rethink your travel dates. Not only will you have to spend more on a hotel, but everywhere you go will be more crowded. Late Nov. around Thanksgiving and later in Dec. (18-29) prices drop and I think is better all around. You could even come first week in Jan. and will still find Xmas decorations up and prices almost a bargain not to mention sales in shops. NYC has a buzz all the time.

Poppa's reco will prove my point. Check the price at the Stanford in early Dec. and you'll see it's over $300/night. Then check it say Dec. 19-24 and it's $149/night. (plus tax which is 15%)

You will not find a central location in a decent place for $200/night with a private bath. Even the flea pits charge more than that then. (Do NOT fall for the Pennsylvania, Ramada New Yorker or Carter)

Ljg has given you some good b & b options but none are in midtown.