We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making the most of our wedding day

Preston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Making the most of our wedding day

Hi,

I have previously posted a topic here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1688602…

We are planning a wedding for October 2008 in Central Park. The time we had thought of was 3pm.

This was only because we were worried about how we would fill the day and entertain a party of 10 guests.

Obviously, if it were not our wedding day we would be able to fill our time quite easily in New York!

We would ideally like to get married at noon.

Any suggestions?

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making the most of our wedding day

I'm sorry I'm confused - are you planning to get married at 3pm or noon or do you mean get married at noon and eat at 3pm??

I've ready your other post and I'd say you could still do all that and then maybe after the meal go back to your hotel, change and meet up again for cocktails in some nice bars??

Another thought is, seeing as you're in NY, depending on the weather etc would be to travel to a few different places for photos - like Time Sq.....or even Top of the Rock - places that are different to what you'd get at home if that makes sense, obviously this would take some planning if you wanted all 10 guests to go too.....but if not you could do this after dinner before going out for the evening when everyone else has gone home to change etc. If that makes any sense!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making the most of our wedding day

I am glad you are so mellow and think that it might be difficult filling up the morning before you get married at noon!!

Since you are getting married in Central Park, what about heading up to the Top of the Rock, which has amazing views of the whole park? Bring a map of the park with you so you can figure out from above where the spot is.

Preston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making the most of our wedding day

Thanks ljg1006,

We were originally planning to get married at 3pm, so we wouldn't have as much time to fill after the ceremony.

Ideally though, we would like to get married at noon, as long as we have a good plan to fill-up the rest of the day. The various places for photo opportunities may be a good option to use up some time between the ceremony and going for dinner.

I'm thinking perhaps a horse and carriage to take the bride and father to the ceremony loction, then when the ceremony has finished take some photos within Central Park, then champagne at the Boathouse & Gondola ride & more photos, then book a limo for 3 hours to take us to 2 or 3 different locations such as the ones you mentioned. Then at the end of the 3 hour limo service it drops us off at a restaurant for dinner.

GreenWhiteBlue - i was talking about filling-up the rest of the day after the wedding ceremony, not the two or three hours before it. Sorry for the confusion.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making the most of our wedding day

I think it depends on what you're wearing.

As in, if you're wearing a full dress for the ceremony, it might be nice to have a back-up outfit so you could change and hit some of the places mentioned above that are iconic of NYC for more photos. Like the Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square, NY Water taxi, Flatiron building etc etc etc.

If you are wearing a big dress and planning on staying in it (who could blame you?!) then maybe a few nice places for drinks afterwards. Like the Rainbow Grill (below the famous Rainbow Room), The View (which overlooks Times Square), Rise Bar at the Ritz Carlton (with views of the Statue of Liberty)

Preston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making the most of our wedding day

Cheers ange,

Yeah the bride will definitely be wearing her dress all day. I don't think this will stop us visiting a few places though if we hire a limo for transportation.

Do you know if children are allowed in the places/ bars you mentioned as there will be 2 guests aged 7 & 9.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making the most of our wedding day

I honestly don't know. I'd definitely contact them first.

They all serve food though so you'd imagine kids would be welcome - whether or not you'd have to actually be eating there is another matter.

They're all google-able though and should have contact numbers or email addresses so you can ask. (Mention it's your wedding day because if they want you to make a reservation, even for drinks, you might just get something thrown in!)

7. Re: Making the most of our wedding day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 23:18