We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roughly how long is the train trip

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Roughly how long is the train trip

from NYC to Orange Connecticut? And is it easy to do?

We're staying with family in Orange and they've told us it's not too far by train, but a little long for a day trip. Now of course, I believe them, but I'd also like a second opinion :).

We're booked in for 1 night at the Hilton on 6th Ave, but it's not until the end of our trip, and I'd like to get in and see a bit more of NYC earlier in the trip as well.

I've heard that there's really only two trains, one that goes out and one that comes in, is that right? That would make it a lot easier to do...

Also, we want to go to Brasserie Les Halles on Park Avenue South, the night we're staying at the Hilton, I've looked up the directions and apparently it's only 1.6 miles, is this walkable? Especially at night? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks! - Sorry if I've left out any important details needed to answer my questions...

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

I'm not familiar with much of Connecticut, but you can look up the timetables:

mta.info/mnr/…index.html

Click on "East/Hudson/Harlem?New Haven".

Erm, no offense, but couldn't this family tell you more details? Also, they must tell you the name of their MetroNorth Station and help you figure out how to get form their house to the station. Not a lot of buses or other public transit in CT.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

<<We're staying with family in Orange and they've told us it's not too far by train, but a little long for a day trip. Now of course, I believe them, but I'd also like a second opinion >>

There is no train station in Orange. There are stations in Milford and in Derby/Shelton, but they are not on the same line. I have no idea which station you would want to use, and how you would get to Orange from there.

<<I've heard that there's really only two trains, one that goes out and one that comes in, is that right? >>

Who knows? You don't even say what station you are trying to get to. The train schedule for the MetroNorth Railroad is on line, and you can look it up as easily as anyone else here can.

<< I've looked up the directions and apparently it's only 1.6 miles, is this walkable?>>

For some people, yes, for others, no. 1.6 miles is not vague, but is a very specific distance. Only you would know whether this is a walkable distance for you or not.

<<Especially at night? >>

Distances are no longer at night than they are in the daytime. If you are asking if the neighborhood is safe for walking at night, yes, it is.

<<Or is there an easier way?>>

Sure. Take the subway, or a taxi.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

The Milford station is on the main New Haven line, whereas Shelton/Derby are on I believe the Waterbury branch. If you've heard that there are really only a couple trains, that probably refers to the Shelton station. From Milford, trains should run every hour or so-- check the time at the mta.info website that I think someone else provided-- and the ride each way is 90 minutes, give or take a few.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,934 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

The train from GCT to Milford, CT would take approximately an hour and 20 minutes.

Orange is the northern and eastern district of the city of Milford. So coming from NYC I would get off at the Milford station, a regular stop on the Metro-North RR. Have your friends pick you up there.

I is an easy trip, buy your tickets at the station, not on the train as there is an additional fee, and you'll be set to go, trains run every hour or so.

Schedules are available at the station office under the clock or just check the schedule listing boards in the station.

Poppa.

NYC
Level Contributor
915 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

And my advice is: Don't listen to your friends! :D

Really, though, I grew up in the suburbs and I know that plenty of people think, for example, that 90 minutes is way too far to travel into the city (Manhattan) for a day trip, the cost, the parking etc etc. In other words, they're thinking with their suburban brains - you're coming from Australia for heaven's sake! A little 90 minute train ride isn't going to keep you from exploring Manhattan, right? What I mean is, people in the suburbs who don't commonly come into Manhattan act like it's a huge bother and pain. They don't really enjoy being in the city and don't see any benefit to being there. Don't let what they say put you off any of your plans.

You go and enjoy yourselves and, lastly, make sure you know what train you're taking home. You don't want to miss the last train back!

In fact, pick up a schedule at the station, whether in CT or Grand Central!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,934 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

I heartily agree with ginger-candy; we live 30 minutes north of the New Haven Metro-North station and REGULARLY make day trips to the City. Piece of cake! So, don't let them (your host/hostess) discourage you from coming in for a visit, eminently doable!

And remember, all times are based on the fact that the trains are running on schedule; the website www.mta.com will have tons of information on schedules, fares, delays and other ancillary news.

Poppa

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

Hello BecBennett,

To help you with your restaurant question, try going to this website

www. hopstop.com

You can choose a walking or a subway route to get around the city. A walk from your hotel to Les Halles would be around 30 minutes depending on your speed. New York is a great city for walking but I would not consider Les Halles to be walking distance. You can walk a little to Lexington and take a quick subway ride down to 28th street on the 6 train. Again check hopstop.com-it is great.

As for the Connecticut question, you will need to find out what station exactly you will be going to to get a true estimation.

Good Luck and Happy Travels!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

Thanks everyone.

We will definately be making the day trips in.

Thanks for the web sites. I'll check them out and try to find out where exactly it is I'll be going...

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

I agree that you should do day trips. I do it regularly with three kids. Now I jump on the Metro North a few stops closer than Milford, but not that many. the biggest problem will be getting to the train station if your friends aren't available to drive you. Most of the suburbs have cabs, but not many have them regularly available, you often just have to call for a pick up. Have your friends help you with that portion of the journey!

10. Re: Roughly how long is the train trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 10:20