We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

I am looking forward to my trip to NYC later this year. What I do not want to do is annoy the locals! So basically I want to know what annoys the people of New York most about tourists. This should run and run!

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

I like the tourists...it's the other New Yorkers I can't stand.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

Nothing! I'm annoyed by people who are oblivious to others around them, but that has nothing to do with them being tourists.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

Stopping in the middle of the sidewalk, things like that can be annoying. Tourists are like anyone else, you get your good and bad, I guess, but most visitors I interact with are usually quite pleasant.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

Here's a pretty amusing posts about not dressing or acting like a tourist, in which I said this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k873790-… -What_to_wear-

We are a city of pedestrians, not drivers. Think of our sidewalks as our freeways. Therefore, please "pull over" (step to the side) when pausing to look at a map or admire a beautiful building or view.

Also, our mouths are our "horns". If someone is in your way or bothering you, just say excuse me - clearly. Speak up! Many car-culture folks are not accustomed to being surrounded by people all the time.

When using the subway, you'll be using many staircases. Please step the to side when at the top or bottom of a staircase to permit people to use it. Warning: you will see locals who are, imho, obnnoxious and passive-aggressive, and block staircases until told to move. This is akin to people taking up two parking spots or who leave their car double parked. Just move on.

If you are in a subway car with a smelly, obnoxious or sketchy person, get up and MOVE to the next car when the train pulls into the station. No need to suffer! It is not rude. You won't be insulting anyone. Tip - if you notice only one empty car on a crowded train, don't go in it. There's probably a good reason it's empty.

Also, when riding the subway, please HOLD ON to the poles and railings. This week particularly, I've seen many groups of tourists fall over each other being thrown off-balance when the train starts to move. Sure, they all laugh and fall all over themselves, but it actually is quite dangerous, (not to mention annoying when that lady fell right on top of a 8-year-old boy playing a PS2. In typical NYC fashion, the boy and his mom hardly flinched, and just briefly smiled at the profuse apolgies. I bet he didn't even lose points.) You don't want a twisted ankle to ruin your trip.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

We love all tourists when they're here....!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

Please, please, don't stand and read the map while:

1. Standing at the top of a staircase

2. Blocking the crosswalk

3. Standing in the middle of the sidewalk

Thank you.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

Generally speaking, I think NYC residents are very patient and helpful when it comes to tourists. In DC---pity the poor tourist that doesn't stand to the right on the Metro station escalators!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

To add to that---quite a while back, someone who just returned from visiting DC asked in the forum why people in DC hate tourists. S/he then explained why that was asked. Many of us posted in the thread to reassure the poster that we weren't all like that!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

I kind of look upon NYC tourist like I do all the sguirrels and pigeons ..... yeah they can be annoying ..... yeah they seem confused all the time around major NYC buildings and attractions ..... yeah they all scatter when you yell and stomp your foot but they're also kind of like a necessary distraction ..... but I would miss then if they were all gone. They're just so cute and cuddly. Well ..... that is except for that one tourist/troll who's post was deleted this morning ..... well that guy should just fly the coop and I don't think I'd miss him at all.

Anyway, here's my dirty little confession, in my heart I secretly hate when I read trip reports and see tourist and stuff like that ..... and the tourist are actually having a better time in NYC than me. Well ..... again ..... except for that one tousist/troll who's post was deleted ..... that guy definitely seems to have had a worst time than me. Gee ..... thanks for cheering up my little day.

Briarcliff Manor...
Level Contributor
552 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do New Yorkers hate most about tourists!

Make sure that you tip appropiately when in restaurants and bars. As a former bartender, if you tip well as a foreigner, then the server will be more helpful when you want recommendations.