We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Bayside and seeking diners and such restaurants

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
292 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Bayside and seeking diners and such restaurants

A large group of friends (families,so they need multiple rooms) is planning to to stay in a hotel in Bayside and commute (by vans) into Manhattan, to save on the price of hotels in Manhattan. They are interested in a diner in the Bayside area. I read that the Jackson Diner is not diner food, but Indian food, so I know that's out. Any ideas?

Any ideas for other moderatel priced restaurants in the area that could accomodate such a group? They'd be interested in such restaurants in Manhattan as well.

Also, about how long do you think it will take to get into Manhattan from Bayside?

Any dos or don'ts you suggest?

Thanks!

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Bayside and seeking diners and such restaurants

On northern blvd and the corner of little neck parkway there is the scobee diner,on northern blvd near francis lewis is a very good greek gyro place that also has burgers etc and is very reasonable.There is a good little diner in rego park on 63rd called the rego park cafe,very reasonable with big potions and near the subway. If you are taking the train into n.y. using the lirr it is about 35-40 minutes,driving can be longer based on traffic and time of day. Bayside also has alot of smaller pubs and restaurants on bell blvd.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Bayside and seeking diners and such restaurants

Hmmm ... some thoughts here...

There is a problem with the "vans" idea -- street parking in Manhattan is out of the question, and that leaves you paying for expensive garages. The process of getting in and out of a garage can also take up a good part of you tiem. I would say that, if you really want to travel like this, that you should drive the vans to the municipal parking facility and take the subway from there. You can either use the facilities at Sunnyside or Court Square (a longer drive, but a shorter subway ride), or else one of the municipal lots in Flushing(a shorter, easier drive; a longer subway ride). The facilities are described and mapped here:

nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/qnspkfac.shtml

The advantage is that they are cheaper than private lots, they are close to the subway, and best of all you never have to deal with bridge or tunnel traffic to use them.

You don't say which of the three hotels in Bayside you are staying at -- if it is the Anchor Inn, you are also walking distance from the Bayside Long Island Rail Road station, but that will be expensive with a large group.

The Jackson Diner is not in Bayside; it is miles away in Jackson Heights. Keep in mind that Queens County is by far the largest borough in area in New York City (it is more than four times the size of Manhattan), and you should never think that anything in Queens is near something else in Queens just because both are in Queens.

If you are looking for diners in the Bayside ara (and you know, it really would be a lot easier on people who want to help you if you could actually mention WHERE you are staying instead of just naming the town), and you have vans, you might consider heading east on Northern Boulevard a mile or so to the Scobee, at the corner of Little Neck Parkway (if the street had a nubmer it would be 253rd; a bizarre factoid is that former CIA director George Tenet, who is from the neighborhood, worked there as a young man); I think it better than the Seville, which is also on Northern closer to Bayside, but can be bypassed. There is also a decent diner/luncheonette on the west side of Bell Boulevard a block or two north of the station whose name eludes me now. Another decent diner (Queens is full of diners, by the way) is the North Shore, which you will find as you travel west on Northern Boulevard at the corner of Francis Lewis Boulevard (Francis Lewis being a signer of the Declaration of Independence who came from Queens.)

If you want more than just diners (and you should!!), you will find that there are many moderately-priced restaurants in Bayside, especially along Bell Boulevard north of Northern, as well as all along Northern Boulevard itself. Take a stroll along Bell (which will seem like the main street of a small town) and stop in any that takes your fancy, and just ask if they can handle such a group all at once.

I live in Douglaston, which is the community immediately east of Bayside, and I regularly drive into Manhattan (but ONLY because I work odd hours, and have my own parking spot in one of the garages at Headquarters!!!) and I can tell you that the driving time varies ENORMOUSLY depending on destination, traffic, construction, and other factors. If you wanted to drive to the Statue of Liberty Ferry, for example (in fact a really lousy idea, and I have no idea where you would park if you were so foolish as to do this) from Bayside, you would be taking a trip of about 14 or 15 miles and it could take you anywhere from a half hour (in ideal, but highly unlikely, conditions) to 45 minutes (more likely) to an hour and a half (not at all unheard of.) And then what would you do? Get back in the van and DRIVE to the next sight? Ha! not likely -- you would walk, or take the subway, which is why you shouldn't have taken the van into Manhattan in the first place: since you would be getting on the subway anyway, you could have saved yourself some driving and much aggravation by taking the subway into Manhattan in the first place. This is why I urge you to park in Queens near the subway, and continue from there.

If you do drive in NYC (even in Queens, where driving is not so bad), keep one thing in mind: THERE IS NO RIGHT TURN ON RED IN NEW YORK CITY. If you make a right turn on red, you are running a red light, and may get a summons. Also be aware that Traffic Enforcement Agents are instructed to summons double parkers on sight, with NO warning given, so never double park. When you see multiple parking regulations posted on a single pole, you read them from the top down -- the one on top takes precedence, and if it does not apply, look at the second one, etc. "No Standing", by the way, means that you can stop a car for a millisecond in order to let someone in or out, and then IMMEDIATELY drive away, but you cannot stop for other reasons -- for example, you cannot stop to put your shopping bags in the trunk. If you stop a car and no one gets in or out, or if you load or unload anything besides a passenger, it does not matter that the motor is running and you are behind the wheel, as far as the law is concerned that is "parking", and if the sign says "no standing", you are in violation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Bayside and seeking diners and such restaurants

Bayside in general is not an area well served by public transportation as far as I know (which isn't a lot). That said, one way to find places to eat near a particular location is to get a map of the hotel on mapquest.com and then look for restaurants near it. While a restaurant might be in Bayside, it might not be walkable from the hotel. Conversely, there may be nearby restaurants in Flushing that would be close enough.

I suggest you tell us which hotel and how many people are involved. I also wonder if this booking is prepaid since there are probably much better options for convenience. Is the van you're planning on using your own or the hotel's? Have you tried asking the hotel this question?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Bayside and seeking diners and such restaurants

Yeah, what GWB said!

;o)

I agree - without knowing anything else, this idea sounds penny wise/pound foolish. Hope you got really, really great deals on whatever hotel you booked, and the rental vans, and the gas, and the parking....

I think it would be better to take car service to the LIRR station in Bayside and commute everyday. When will you be here? Is this for a particular occassion?

5. Re: Staying in Bayside and seeking diners and such restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 07:16