We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moma or The Met

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Moma or The Met

If you only had time for one which would it be Moma or The Met. Why?

DC
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Moma or The Met

Choose according to your interests. They are very different museums. Neither is "better."

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moma or The Met

Hello,

For me it would be the Metropolitan. It is simply one of the worlds best museums and I think it should be seen. Moma is amazing as well. It is much smaller and easier to see in it's entirety. It is all modern art and if that is what you want to see it doesn't get any better.

The Metropolitan has a cross section of periods. The do brilliant costume exhibits. Then there is the Egyptian wing with the temple of Dendur.

The Metropolitan has a suggested donation of $20, while Moma is a $20 entrance fee. If you'd like to see both but feel like the price of entrance is daunting you can give less at the Met.

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moma or The Met

Thank you for the response, The $$ is less of a problem then the time. The Met looks wonderful and it appears I could use the better part of a day for it. May have to wait for the next trip. Thanks again.

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moma or The Met

The Met does have a high lights tour.

Honestly, it is such a big musuem. Most people who go visit for a limited time. Knowing before hand what they want to see. When I visit is is usually to visit an exhibt that has opened( then I revisit some favorites).

Don't let the size deter you. If you research a little before hand you can get an idea of what you want to see and go in with a game plan. Or simply do a hight lights tour.

MOMA is a great modern art museum thouhg. If you feel more comfortable (time wise) go there.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moma or The Met

You can spend as much or as little time at the Met as you would like.

Keep in mind the Met has a very good selection of modern art.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moma or The Met

The Museum of Modern Art is just that: Modern Art. Oh, they have some Impressionists and Post-Impressionists, but their focus is really on more recent stuff. The Met, which is much larger, has modern stuff too, but also has things from every period and place - Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Asian, Medieval; paintings by all the great masters; an outstanding collection of Nineteenth Century art, including a wonderful collectino of Impressionists; Arms and Armor; Musical Instruments -- it is a fabulous museum. If you have no real interest in any art created before 1900, then go to MoMA. If, on the other hand, you think that modern art is not the end-all and be-all of human artistic endeavor, but only one part of a much larger picture, go to the Metropolitan.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moma or The Met

And if you were in Paris and could go to only one museum, would you choose the Louvre or the D'Orsay?......and in London, the British Museum or the Tate????? Sure, I suppose, there are people who would actually opt for the 20th Century museum first but I don't think I want to know them.......The Met is one of the finest museums in the world and certainly the finest in NYC......if you only have three hours, go and take a highlights tour, or go to the several areas that interest you the most.....Its Egyptian collection is superb (as good as London, and better than Cairo); its Roman and Greek Rooms were just reorganized and are amazing and the paintings from early medieval through to the early 20th Century including Picasso are absolutely fabulous......You really should not miss this

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moma or The Met

Louvre or the D'Orsay? IMHO my experience the Louvre was much more taxing Very full; long lines, Huge, and just getting started took 4 hours. Felt like I had missed so much after 6 hours with my map but I loved it. D'Orsay on the other hand is much smaller and 3 hours felt like I had opened the windows to my brain and let in the fresh air. Both great, two different experiences. The Tate was provocative always fun to see life from different perspectives even if I didn’t always get it. Sadly I have not been to the British museum YET. I am not a Master of the Arts just a humble tourist looking for advice.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Moma or The Met

Unfortunatley I didn't have time to do MOMA, that will be my next visit, but I did get to the MET and I absolutely loved it. Just seeing the outside of this spectacular building was almost good enough. It is huge though, so take the advise of the other posters and concentrate on the areas that interest you most. The staff at the information desk were very helpful in helping us decide what to see. Plus, if you have time, and you're there in good weather, check out the roof top bar. It was amazing to be at tree top level with a view of the whole park - and the lichee martinis are delicious!

DC
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Moma or The Met

hofheim,

You knew the answer all along. Go to MoMA. If you like the art movements of the last 100 years, it is a brilliantly presented collection. Frankly, the Metropolitan is more than a bit of a mess in many of its collections, with no natural progression from room to room and an overload of redundant items, especially in the antiquities collections. A few hours spent at MoMA will be a revelation.