We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from new york to chicago in six days

Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
driving from new york to chicago in six days

A family of four will be driving from New York to Chicago with a stop in Niagara falls in six days. We are from Australia so would like to see some interesting sites on our journey. Would like suggestions please.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

How about stopping in Cleveland and visiting the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame? It is easy to get to off I-90.

DC
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

That's going to be a very long six days. Stop somewhere in upstate NY for a nature break before Niagara Falls. There's really nothing to see between Cleveland and Chicago and you'd rather drive it in one day.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

The town of ann arbor in Michigan is home to the university of michigan and has tons of great places to eat,sleep and wonder around.It is a big college town so the prices are very reasonable.The campus inn is within walking distance to the main st area.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

The Rock n Roll hall of fame in Cleveland is just wonderful!!!!It is very interactive and after about4-5hrs I had to DRAG my husband away.

Montreal
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

If you like roller coasters, Sandusky Ohio, an hour west of Cleveland, is the home of Cedar Point an amusment park with over 15 coasters.

Also, instead of straight to Niagara Falls, you could detour through Amish country in eastern Pensylvania

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

Six days is a long time for a 12-hour drive! I hope that you'll spend a couple of days in N.F. as it's fantastic. Amish Country would be quite a detour I believe, but maybe you could use up a couple of days that way. The Finger Lakes Region of NY is also nice.

When we drove cross-country a few years ago, on our way to Chicago we stopped at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore for a picnic. It's very close to 90. I recall that you get an interesting view of Chicago across the lake and it might make a nice break spot. We drove from outside of Cleveland to Chicago in one day, stopping at the above spot, and were not pressed for time.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

I second CedarPoint in Sandusky Ohio BUT it depends on the ages of your children. My godsons 13 & 11 loved absolutely every minute of it when I took them last year.

Try staying on the Canadian side of the Falls because there is just so much more to do over there. Once, again, the boys adored the Cave of the Winds tour which got everyone extremely wet. When we went the second time, they were happy to wear their boardies!

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

Well I love driving in the States.The problem is that there is just so much to see and do.Leaving NYC you have the Hudson Valley with Rockefeller and vanderbilt mansions as well as FDRs house and library.Go through the Catskills and on to Corning with a fabulous Glass museum.The kids can have a hands on experience doing there own glass blowing.

If going through Ann Arbor as suggested then also think of Grand rapids,Michigan where Gerald Fords library is.

For your wife look up www.outletbound.com and visit a factory outlet or two on the way.For us Aussies they have next seasons fashions at great discounts.

As well as the Amish in Lancaster county,PA there are Amish settlements in upstate New York,Ohio and Illinois south of Chicago.

With 6 days however you have the time to go via Philly,Lancaster county then on to Pittsburgh and the Andy warhol museum amongst others.just before you reach Pittsburgh visit Falling waters and Turkey Knob-2 Frank Lloyd Wright designed houses.

Reaaly the problem is that there is so much to do and not enough time.

Enjoy your trip.

New York NY
Level Contributor
295 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

Did you mean that you're coming to NYC in six days, or that you have six days to spend on the road between NYC-Chi?

That makes quite a difference. If you're coming at the end of this week to make the drive, for example, each leg of your trip may take a bit longer because of extreme wintry conditions, sometimes, along the way. Even in warm months, driving from NYC to Niagara Falls in one day is a hefty haul. But if you want to stay overnight enroute and take your time getting there, there are almost too many choices of routes and scenic/historic spots.

10. Re: driving from new york to chicago in six days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:18