We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

I will be driving down from Maine on a Friday in late March for a work-related all-day event on Saturday in Woodbury on Long Island.

I plan to go via ferry from CT to avoid traffic and also for the opportunity to see the eastern end of Long Island.

I need lodging for Friday and Saturday night. Safety is the most important factor, and price is right behind that as I won't be getting reimbursed for my lodging.

I have it in my mind that if I go east from Woodbury I might find a safer / quieter area. The last time I had my car in the greater NYC area, my car was broken into and my trunk emptied, so I am a bit skittish about being in a dense urban area.

I'm wiling to go about an hour east of Woodbury if that would

get me a quieter area where I feel safer as I am a single woman traveling alone.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

How about La Quinta Inn and Suites in Garden City (not far from Woodbury)? Free parking and free breakfast. The hotel is located 5 minutes from the Long Island train station (which is a 25 minute train ride directly to Manhattan - Penn Station), and the hotel has a free shuttle service to and from the train station. It has some mixed reviews, but my daughter stayed there on business last March and said it was really nice and that the breakfast was awesome. This is their address:

La Quinta Inn & Suites Garden City

821 Stewart Avenue

Garden City, NY

Mentioned in this post
La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan
La Quinta Inn & Suites...
2,693 Reviews
New York City, NY
Stewart Hotel
Stewart Hotel
5,759 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

I actually don't care about going into Manhattan on this trip. (That will be the next trip, the fun trip with the gals!)

I'll have some expensive work-related equipment, laptop computer and such for the day long event on Saturday, so my #1 goal is to find a place where I will feel really safe.

I'm thinking B&B or old style strip motel where I can park at the door of my room as I'll have to make several trips to get clothes and equipment into my room.

I've actually been looking online at motels and B&Bs in the Port Jefferson Woodbury area. I plan to drive down early on Friday to give myself plenty of time to explor the area. Can also explore Sunday morning on my way back to the Ferry.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

Oops. I meant to say Port jefferson and Stony Brook area.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

Anyone know anything about the Bayles Estate B&B in Stony Brook? That would put me about 35 minutes from Woodbury and the web site looks nice, but I can't find it in any reviews on any web sites.

http://www.baylesestate.com

troy mi
Level Contributor
970 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

very nice full-service Marriott 20 minutes east off of 495 in Melville in a business park setting

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

The Bayles Estate does look nice, but

a) I'd be worried about the total lack of reviews online and

b)I'd ask what kind of exploring you intend on doing? I don't find the area around Stony Brook particularly enticing at this time of year (and March won't be that much different).

The nicest things to see mid island are the

>Old Westbury Gardens which is closed in March

>Sagamore Hill, Teddy Roosevelt's estate in Oyster Bay which is open and northwest of Woodbury

www.nps.gov/sahi/planyourvisit/hours.htm

There's also a Walt Whitman birthplace museum near there (I haven't been) and some other historical spots in and around Oyster Bay and Cold Spring Harbor. I don't know of much to see near Stony Brook. You'd have to go much further east I think to the North Fork where the vineyards are or to the Hamptons.

In your place, I would stay as close to your business venue in Woodbury as possible and pick a place that gets good reviews.

I will also add I would not consider "old fashioned strip motels" as typically safe (at least on LI) nor does being in a less ruban are guarantee any more safety, in fact, sometimes the opposite.

Overall, that area of Long Island is pretty suburban and there's some very good shopping if that interests you.

Mentioned in this post
Old Westbury Gardens
Old Westbury Gardens
375 Reviews
Old Westbury, NY
Walt Whitman Birthplace
Walt Whitman Birthplace
48 Reviews
Huntington Station, NY
North Fork
North Fork
Long Island, NY
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

In Roslyn,about 10 miles west of Woodbury is the Claremont hotel.It is in a cute ,safe small town without alot of worries. It is easy to reach from the Long Island Expressway and has some corporate rates. I spend quite a bit of time in southern Maine and I will say this is similar to a haraseekett inn,although not as old and a bit more subdued,not touristy.There is also the harrison house in Glen cove, the fox hollow inn in woodbury,the norwich inn in east norwich.Of course nothing will be as reasonable as Maine but for the most paet most of Long Island is pretty safe. If you have any other q's you can send me a message.

Mentioned in this post
The Claremont Hotel
The Claremont Hotel
171 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

I stayed at the Bayles Estate in Stony Brook, NY as a single woman, and I loved the experience. I was in the process of relocating, so I stayed at the Estate for almost 3 weeks. No problems with being a single woman there. I preferred it to staying at a hotel or motel. The gardens are beautiful, and if the weather permits, there are little tables placed around the gardens. Perfect for meditating! Diana, the owner was very pleasant, and made it feel like home. Bring lots of reading material, because you won't want to leave!

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

I stayed at the Bayles Estate as a single woman. I was relocating, and stayed at the Estate for 3 weeks. It is perfect! Weather permitting, you can sit out on chairs/tables around the garden. The owner, Diana, makes you feel right at home, but also gives you space. Bring lots of reading material, you won't want to leave!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B or hotel on Long Island for single woman traveling alone

I actually made a reservation at the Bayles Estate and when I arrived (at night) no one was there. I walked around the inn knocked on several doors and used my cell phone to ring their phone and got no answer.

After a good 30 minutes of waiting I headed off to find another place to stay. Thankfully I was able to find a small inn in downtown Stoney Brook (the name escapes me right now).

Turns out that the owner of the Bayles Estate got confused about when I was arriving and was expecting me to arrive the next night. (Even though I had emailed to confirm the reservation that week.) Thinking she had no guests that night, she went out for the evening.

I enjoyed the inn where I went instead, the price was comparable, and I felt more comfortable there.

The lady at the Bayles Estate did refund my money (I had paid ahead) without trouble and she did apologize for her error.