We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

USA
14 posts
Save Topic
Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

While reading through the posts, I was thinking back on when we visited NYC a few years ago. We were trying to get downtown to go on the Staten Island Ferry and we got off the subway in Brooklyn by accident. Right as soon as we got off the subway, this very tall NY policeman said in his very NY accent....Welcome to Brooklyn...I will never forget that, it was very cool :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

Well we were riding in a cab and I got up the nerve to ask the driver why so many people honked their horns all the time. He responded by honking his horn, throwing his arm out the window and screaming -"Hey, look at me I'm a crazy cabdriver." I just thought this was hilarious as the cabdriver was very friendly and was in fact making fun of himself.

Now something else that I found pretty funny was that we were doing a Bike the Big Apple Tour and we were crossing the Brooklyn Bridge and I guess the look I had on my face (which I thought was exhausation) was greeted by someone with the international sign for nice job!!! Well at least that's what I want to believe his hand sign meant.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

I once struck up a conversation with a friendly cab driver who was obviously from a continent other than North America. When I asked him where he was from he answered, "Bruk-leen. I am from Bruk-leen." All I could say was, "you don't sound like you're from Brooklyn."!?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

99% of New Yorkers I have encountered have been friendly, helpful and nice to be with. I've bumped into a few grumps, but very, very rarely. Mostly the cool things said were "excuse me", "may I help you", "do you need direction help", and "thank you".

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

We spent a few evenings in Jimmy's Corner when in New York last November. When we were leaving on our last night Jimmy's wife called over to us "it's been great having you here make sure you call in to see us again the next time you're in New York to meet Jimmy" - considering how many people she gets in and out of the bar in an evening I thought that was very nice and it meant a lot to us.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

CONGRATulations............(it faded off) shouted by a cyclist going by at high speed on the Brooklyn Bridge just after we'd got married.

I bet that was just another ride home for him but I'll never forget it.

london
Level Contributor
385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/ is full of stuff!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

My daughter and I visited NY over MLK weekend (have been meaning to do a report, but......) and it was my first visit. I was absolutely blown away by people's friendliness and willingness to help us with directions. We were on the subway, looking at a map and a man nearby asked if he could help us. We asked if we were headed in the right direction, and he said, "first of all, let me welcome you to my city", and then he told us that yes, we were headed to the correct stop. Then he gave us more information and went on his way.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

On my first trip a few years ago, there were 8 of us there for the World Series (Yankees vs. Marlins). A friend won a trip for 8 to the first game of the World Series and chose my famliy to be 4 of the 8. One of our group was in a wheel chair, so we did encounter a few challenges getting around. We were at a subway station, and the Metro card machines weren't working. This was not a manned station, so we thought we had to find another way to get where we were going. Just then, an NYC police officer asked if he could help us. The mother of the guy in the wheelchair told him our predicament. He told us to hold on. A minute or so later, he came back and opened the gate by the turnstiles so that we could walk through. She tried to give him money for the ride, but he just put up his hand and said, "This one's on New York." I will never forget that. During that trip and subsequent trips, we have had many more New Yorkers help us out when we looked lost.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was in Hooters in Manhattan when the waitress approached my buddy and said "Mr Path, your behavior is that of a buffoon"

chip

New York
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visitors: What cool thing was said by a NY'er?

I've lived hear over a decade and have yet to hear any one say "Hey babe, take a walk on the Wild Side. Honey, take a walk on the Wild Side"

What a rip-off! Lou Reed has a lot to answer for.

Doo Doodoo Doodoo DooDoo!!!