We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to NYC with disabled relative

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
New to NYC with disabled relative

Hi

Visiting NYC for 4 days in June with elderly relative who can walk only short distances. Id love to see the main sights ie Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Central Park, Ground Zero.

A, Should we bring our own wheelchair or can we hire at the main sights.

B. Is it feasible to travel by cab as the subway will be hopeless for us.

C. Which area is the best to stay for reasonable prices but quite central due to using cabs.

D. Any w.w.w.sites that would be helpful.

Any thoughts would be so helpful

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to NYC with disabled relative

a) You should bring your own. Most sights will not have them for hire, and how were you planning on getting to the sights, anyway?

b) The subway, depedning on where you are going, is not hopeless for you; many (although not all) stations have elevators between street and platforms. You can also take city buses; all buses have wheelchair lifts.

You can read more here:

http://www.mta.info/mta/ada/index.html

All taxis must also accept wheelchair-using customers.

c) As noted already, you are not limited to cabs -- buses are very easy to use with wheelchairs, and they go everywhere in Manhattan. Look at this map:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

d) Well, for one, you could look at more of the MTA website I have already given you!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,025 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to NYC with disabled relative

A. There is one place in NYC that rents wheelchairs.

Falk Drug and Surgical Supply

259 E 72nd St

New York, NY, 10021

Tel: 212-744-8080

Fax: 212-737-1521

http://www.citidex.com/607.htm#C3406

It's about $55/wk last I checked

Whether to do that or bring one from home is up to you.

B. As GWB says, not all subway is hopeless but buses are another option. They all accept wheelchairs. I think it really depends on how far you're going. You don't have to use all one or the other.

C. Midtown east is probably your best bet. It's central but not as pricey (or as crowded) as the area around Times Square. There are many hotels in midtown west that would not be in Times Square so it just depends on yoru travel dates and the prices you find.

The places you mention are located all over Manhattan, and probably the best way to see them is by taking some sort of tour. Depending on how many you are, it might pay to hire a private car and driver to take you where you want to go. If it's just 2 of you, some of the bus tours are handicap accessible.

A few hotels that might be good for you are the Courtyard Marriott Midtown East, Affinia Dumont and Affinia 50.

D. There are dozens of good websites listed in the FAQ at the top of the page. It's here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1566438…

The Big Apple Greeters, a volunteer organization has an accessibility program that might be helpful to you.

bigapplegreeter.org/03-what_is_access/00-wha…

There's a search function on the forum. Since a number of people have asked before about wheelchairs, handicapped accomodation, getting around etc. you might want to do a forum search for some of those previous threads. Here's one with a lot of good info

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k701876-…

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to NYC with disabled relative

Thanks folks for all these tips, it never ceases to amaze me how brilliant this site is and how fantastic you guys are for helping.

Its just me and my ex mum in law visiting. Coming over to Cleveland to visit relatives, go to W. Virginia for a wedding and because Ive seen loads of the States but never 'done' NYC. IVE JUST GOTTA!!!!

Liz

4. Re: New to NYC with disabled relative

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:17