We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

Would love suggestions as far as taking a bag/purse along while touring the city all day. My guidebook won’t fit any of my purses, and I’m concerned about taking TOO big a bag because of security issues. NY Party Shuttles, which we have booked for a night tour, says not to bring anything larger than a ladies’ purse or they can turn you away at their discretion, with no refund. And I’m sure ESB, TOTR, and a few other places also have restrictions on what type of bag you can bring in. Are backpacks a bad idea?

I don’t carry a lot of “woman” stuff, just a few small items like cell phone, reading glasses, a map or two, etc. Cash and credit cards will be in my jeans pocket, camera around my neck. Do need room for my guidebook though, and a few printed things like the famous “GWB” and other TA instructions! I do have one bag that MIGHT work, though it's bigger than the average purse (but smaller than a backpack).

So, ladies, any suggestions? How can I take a few key items and my guidebook along on my daytrips without being either too cumbersome OR a security magnet? What worked for YOU? Five days to go – thanks for your help!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

I carry a large purse around most of the time and don't even think about it when I visit tourist attractions. At the S of L they don't let you take ANY bag up the Statue but have provided lockers for this purpose. Everywhere else, you'll just have someone inspect the bag. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

When your guidebook doesn't fit in any of your current handbags, well, isn't that an excuse to buy a new one? ;)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

I have also just used a large purse and had no problems with security. I think you'll be fine!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

When I am touring I take a small shoulder bag - I don't want to be weighed down with a lot of stuff. TOTR has no restrictions on bags - they search everyone and their bags but its no big deal. ESB has a screener like at the airport I believe.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

Perhaps a light weight tote (with zipper) is the answer. YOu can put a smaller handbag you own in it if you want or use it as your handbag. The nylon Longchamps Le Pliage totes (or similar) are popular and practical. They can even be used for an overnight bag if you get the big one.

http://www.observer.com/2007/battle-bags

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

Great suggestions from all of you! At this moment I am digging through my daughters' closets to see what I can find....they are away at college so I shouldn't get in too much trouble, and they have tons of bags. Then again, I may just have to go shopping! I have a whole box full of purses and bags, yet none of them screams "New York"!

Never really had this issue before when traveling as we've usually always had a car and could keep guidebooks, etc. in there when need be, and never did this much foot travel. Of course, maybe I should take an old purse with me, and while in NYC I can complain to hubby about how my purse "just isn't working" and buy one there!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

spudgirl - you can buy at the new Gucci flagship store their "NY Only" purses that say "gucci [heart] NY" THAT screams New York! :)

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

The nylon bags are wonderful...they are strong and hold a lot and won't kill your shoulder......Some of the Chinatown faux leather bags do the same thing but then you have to worry if they are going to hold up......But if you cannot find them in your kids closets you can certainly buy them in New York.....i like your way of thinking...just complain to your husband that you are in agony!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

BTW, nywhiz, that is a great bag from Longchamp. Thanks for the link to the Observer article, which even tells where to purchase in Manhattan!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

Buy a big "hippie" bag on the street to use in NYC. It goes across the body, holds all your stuff, plus a water bottle, guide book, and camera. They are cheap, and it will also be a souvenier to take home.

UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ladies ~ what kind of bag do you take when day-touring?

Whats a hippie bag? I like that idea the Gucci one sounds good too.