We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

Hi there, we'll be in NYC in early June, Mon to Fri. We'd like to see 3 to 4 Broadway Musicals. Here's my shortlist:

Avenue Q

Curtains

Jersey Boys

Mary Poppins

If we were to see only 3 of the 4, which would you suggest dropping?

Also we'd like to buy tix to 1 or 2 ahead of time, to ensure decent seats, then try TKTS for the others. Not sure which I should pre-buy and which we'll be ok "risking"?

Last question -- are there any others we should be considering? (we've already seen Wicked, Hairspray, Chicago, Phantom, Billy Elliot, Mamma Mia)

thanks all!

Sherry

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

I would drop Curtains.

You must pre-buy Jersey Boys, no other otpions, if you can even get them.

Avenue Q is discounted, Mary Poppins sometimes.

Check www.broadwaybox.com, free to join, they will have the discounts and dates.

Other recommendations:

Xanadu

In the Heights

Spring Awakening

Gypsy

South Pacific - seeing this Saturday, will report back.

New York
Level Contributor
110 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

Jersey Boys is absolutely splendid and a must-see. Avenue Q is unique so worth seeing but not one of my all time favorites. I have not seen Curtains (but I hear people talking about it) or Mary Poppins so can't really comment on those two. My instinct is if you had to drop one it should be Mary Poppins but more importantly, if you could only see one it should definitely be Jersey Boys.

Spring Awakening is a good one to consider if you are looking to add, but it's provacative (def not for kids). Hairspray, even though it's a well-known story was also quite good. Chorus Line was surprisingly good but I'd recommend the above-mentioned first.

Do you ever go to plays? There is a new play out called "August: Osage County" that is one of the best plays ever on Broadway. The acting is ridiculously fantastic, I can't recommend it enough. It is all of hysterical, dark, sad and anger-provoking all in one show. It is so compelling that the whole audience is visably reacting throughout. Truly fantastic and will surely be a BIG winner during Tony season.

Enjoy!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

Thanks so much Cassidy & NYCgirl! I appreciate the recommendations.

After reading some more reviews of Curtains and Mary Poppins, I think I'll put those to the bottom of the list and consider some of the others you've recommended. Most of those you've mentioned, I have considered, so will look into them a bit more.

A bit more info: hubby & I are both in our 30s, no kids. I LOVE musicals; hubby reluctantly comes along, then admits enjoyment by the end. He liked Hairspray & Mamma Mia best; he found Wicked a bit too weird I think. So I'd like to try to choose shows he'd at least enjoy, more upbeat types.

I have found Jersey Boys tickets listed online in 2nd row balcony for $250/both... worth it?

Cassidy - yes I do like plays but hubby doesn't really. So I think we'll stick to musicals this time, but thanks for mentioning that play!

thanks again; any more suggestions very welcome!

Dallas
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

Sherry,

I'll agree with all the comments about Jersey Boys...are you sure you're only finding those balcony seats??? This far in advance, you should be able to get slightly better seats for around that same price...are you going through the Jersey Boys site or through a third party??

Please please please add "In the Heights" to your list! It's new, it's different, it's amazing. It'll be a contender for the Tony Award for sure, if it doesn't walk away with it...I HIGHLY recommend this show--and I see about 2 shows every other month,so it takes a lot to impress me. I was impressed.

Avenue Q is another one of my favorites, but you can almost for sure find it at the TKTS booth and it's oh-so-worth it!!!! Lots and LOTS of fun!!!

Lucy

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

thanks Lucy -- I will definitely give In the Heights some consideration! It did pique my interest when I read about it.

The JB tix were on telecharge.com, linked to from the official site. (it actually said Mezzanine but I believe this is the balcony?) The dates I'm looking for were June 11 or 12.

thanks

6. Re: Choosing Broadway Musicals; which to pre-buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 22:17