We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

Melbourne
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

I am planning to got to New York City in late September and i am trying to decide between the Belvedere hotel and the Novotel hotel. It is just myself and a friend and both hotels meet our price range and from what i can tell both areas look like enjoyable places to stay and in good locations. Any help deciding between the two would be appreciated, or if there is a better hotel out there for around 300 a night

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

The 2 hotels are not very far apart from each other but are miles away in terms of look and feel. The Novotel sits ON Broadway so you see all the bright lights of Times Square. It's a relatively modern highrise building (you go up an escalator to get to reception).

The Belvedere, while only a few blocks away is on a relatively quiet side street and the building is much older (although they've recently updated the rooms). Rooms here have a fridge and microwave (not sure what the Novotel has). You're in the Times Square area but not right in the middle of the hubbub.

I don't know if the prices you're looking at are with or w/o tax and you don't say exactly what you're looking for, but doing a search for the last 4 days or Sept. (you're probably staying longer which may change rates) I noticed the Hilton Club for $299/night plus tax. It's a well located 4* hotel near but not in Times Square.

I also see the Murray Hill East Suites. While not in Times Square, it's near Grand Central Terminal and would give you more the sense of living here in an apartment. You can get a studio suite there (with kitchen) for $291.50/night plus tax on Orbitz.

Lastly, I see the Courtyard Fifth ave. also for $299/night plus tax. This is a modern highrise in a great central location on Fifth ave. within a 5 minute walk to Times Square.

I don't know if I've helped or confused you more. I think it's really a matter of taste and perhaps how long you're staying.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

thanks so much for the help, we are not really sure what kind of hotel we want, we really just want a comfy place to sleep and are more concerned with location. It will be just 2 girls in early 20s so safety is a big concern and also places were we can get around the city easy

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

All the hotels are near transportation and NYC is very safe. You should have no problems as long as you use your city common sense. If you put the word safety (or something similar) in tne search box you'll find dozens of previous posts on the subject. Here's just one with some good info

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k488088-…

But back to the hotel issue, how long are you staying? Do you plan on seeing a lot of Broadway shows?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

we are only planning to see one or maybe two shows. we really want to see David Letterman. We are staying 4 nights and other than that we have no set planes

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

I would go with the Belvedere. We have stayed there a few times and it fits the bill - good location on a quiet street (get a room on a high floor though) and a good price and clean. Novotel is too much in the middle of things.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

Will echo fins' post... have stayed at Belvedere and found it to be a great location. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Paid $149/night breakfast incl. in summer '03... crazy how much prices have gone up since then!

7. Re: The Belvedere Hotel or The Novotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 12:16