We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

id proof

Birmingham UK
13 posts
Save Topic
id proof

When places require ID (thinking more of 'will call' baseball tickets etc more than bars as unfortunately I do look over 21) will a UK photo driving licence be enough or do I need to carry my passport

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,956 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: id proof

Drivers license will be fine if it has photo. And don't assume b/c you LOOK over 21, they won't "card" you anyway. If license doesn't have photo and you don't want to carry passport around, make a copy and carry that. You may also need the credit card you used to pay for tickets you're picking up. Certainly theaters require that. Not sure about sports tix.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: id proof

I've needed the credit card I used for payment when collecting baseball tickets, and had to show ID. I don't have a photo driving license so always use my passport but the Yankees site ( which I've used) does say a photo driving license is acceptable.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: id proof

I was over 40 when I was asked for ID twice in a week (not in NY though) the bars had a policy of IDing everyone regardless of how old they looked, I now always carry my UK drivers licence (the picture card) when in the US and have had no problem with it being accepted as ID for bars or credit card purchases.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: id proof

Many places will check ID on everyone ( although it reaches a point of idiocy) so they can't be accused of "age discrimination" In today's politcally correct world, sometimes weird things happen,.

5. Re: id proof

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 13:18