We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment rentals in NYC

Dublin
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment rentals in NYC

Dudes.. my wife and I are planning a trip to NYC in the summer with another couple. We were hoping to book an apartment in Manhattan rather than staying in a hotel. I'd appreciate if anyone has any advise about this, good websites that sort of thing. Thanks.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

"Many condo and coop owners rent out their furnished apts for short term but if you're only looking to stay a short time, hotels are best and there are also bed and breakfast spots through the city."

Again, nearly all co-ops and a good percentage of condos have rules preventing owners from renting out their apartments for short-term stays. For the record, co-ops make up the bulk of owned-apartments in NYC.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

yea and your point is? Condos & coops are rented out short term all the time. I was in real estate, its doen EVERYDAY. No one says nothing, not even the doormen.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

No one says anything?

More like no one KNOWS.

If they did, they would complain and call in the authorities.

Just look at the case of the psychiatrist slashed to death in her office. Strange people going in and out of your apartment building does not give people a sense of SECURITY.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

You think the doormen don't know? Please...

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

Whether the doormen "know" or not is irrelvant- that doesn't change the fact that anyone in the building who's not accompanied by an owner or lease-holder can be removed. I'm not sure why anyone would be foolish enough to take that risk.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

The doormen aren't going to jeopardize their jobs by talking. The other tenants if they knew will complain if they knew what was good for them.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

Why do people insist on defending illegal activity on this board, it truly boggles my mind. Just because you "were in real estate" doesn't make it legal or correct. Unfortunately, a lot of people like you are in real estate in this city and that is why real estate and dealing with people like you is the least enjoyable thing about living in this city.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

Besides the illegal aspects, lets not forget the scamers many of whom are not even in NYC. I have no knowledge beyond what I have read here, but between the possibility of being evicted and the possibility of the entire undertaking being bogus, I'd stay in a hotel!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

This thread has me concerned, as I was planning on renting a studio for an upcoming three night stay (like I did last time).

I was looking at ones on VRBO.com.

Are these illegal/risky/likely scams?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Apartment rentals in NYC

In short, yes.