We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new york city

ontario
3 posts
Save Topic
new york city

My wife and I are travelling to New York City April for her 40th birthday. We have ticket reservations to the Conan O'Brien taping on her 40th (hopefully we get in). Has anyone gone to a taping of his show? How can I make it noticable that it is her birthday - or will Conan even care? Also - any suggestions to make her birthday memorable? I'm sure just being in New York will be sufficient but I would like to go the extra mile and make it a 40th she'll never forget. We are staying at the DoubleTree Suites Times Square.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,032 Reviews
New York City, NY
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new york city

I can't answer your question, sorry S2bag, but I wanted to say I think that is AWESOME that you want to make your wifes birthday so special!! She is a lucky lady!!

I'm sure you will gets lots of interesting ideas here.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: new york city

Dress up in a DUCK or BUNNY costume - that's how they did it on the original Price is Right!

Durham
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new york city

How about getting her a big 40 badge or something like that? Cant really think of much else that's of any help!

What sort of suggestions were you after? Things to do or food or both? Personally I love the ESB at night so I'd do that or take her to the River Cafe and take a stroll back across the Brooklyn Bridge weather permitting of course! If you did that then during the day I'd do Top of the Rock and maybe a walk in Central Park - again weather depending....or you could just let her shop ;) or get her a little something from Tiffany's.....hope my hubby reads this ;)

Mentioned in this post
The River Cafe
The River Cafe
3,469 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,976 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,222 Reviews
New York City, NY
ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: new york city

Thanx for your input. I'm looking for ideas for restaurants - love the idea about Central Park - is a carriage ride worth it? My wife loves Chef Ramsey (loves Hells Kitchen and Restaurant Makeover) - has anyone ever been to his restaurant at The London. The menu looks fabulous. Any other restaurant ideas? Is the Top of the Rock better than Empire State Building for a night view? I've been reading and reading information on the internet and have found this forum is far more accurate and informative. As for Conan - I think I'll get her all that tacky Lordy Lordy I'm 40 stuff and make her wear it!!!!!! Maybe attach 40 balloons to her!!!! As for shopping - you'll never belive this - but she hates shopping - I know why New York????

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,222 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hell's Kitchen
Hell's Kitchen
254 Reviews
New York City, NY
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,814 Reviews
New York City, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
69,960 Reviews
New York City, NY
Durham
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new york city

Personally I dont think the carriage ride is worth it, it's expensive for what you get/see and the horses just look tired...plus it's a bit smelly ;)

Personally I love the ESB at night, yes the queues are long and yes the staff aren't as friendly but there's just something special about it. But like I say that's just my opinion :)

Can't answer the question on the London as I've never been but have a look at this thread it might help: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k896047-…

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,814 Reviews
New York City, NY
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new york city

I have not been to ESB but I have been to TOTR. Sunset and the 30-45 minutes afterwards are AWESOME. You get a fabulous view of the ESB from one way, and Central Park the other way.

What about taking her to the Today show or GMA and making a big sign that says "40th Birthday"!! I read somewhere that those with signs have a better chance at getting seen on air. But then, your wife probably would enjoy sleeping in, and not having to be up that early....still, a thought...

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,222 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new york city

CENTRAL PARKTwo other travel sites outside of TripAdvisor recommend pedicab rides in Central Park, because you get four times the distance for less than double the price.

But here's how to decide. Do you want to see the park, or do you want pure romance?

See the park? Pedicab. Romance? Carriage.

Manhattan Rickshaw contracts with two licensed sightseeing guides who do Central Park tours. They are at www.manhattanrickshaw.com

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,234 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,222 Reviews
New York City, NY
ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: new york city

You have all been a great help. How about Harlem Gospel Tours? I've heard they're worth it? And - what about tour buses - is it worth doing the 5 hour tour or just wing it ourselves. We are not the type who like to have a strict itinerary - we are very spontaneous so we don't our days booked full of tours. Any great Pubs/Bars close to Doubletree Suites Times Square? It is her 40th after all!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Harlem
Harlem
1,052 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,032 Reviews
New York City, NY
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new york city

S2bag, being spontaneous is probably a great gift for your wife! I hate when things get too structured, because then the pressure is on. Having said that though, we did a tour through NY Party Shuttle, it was called the Night Lights tour and it was 3 hours (7-10pm). There was a great tour guide who points everything out, and you only get off the bus at a few places (it is not hop on/hop off). The guide goes with you. Our favorite tour stop was near the Brooklyn Bridge, where we saw some fantastic views of Manhattan and the bridge at night.

There are so many wonderful things to see and do, you will have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,976 Reviews
New York City, NY
NYC
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: new york city

Maybe you could mention the fact of your wife's 40th to an usher or some other official type person when being shown your seat, and ask if Conan might make mention of it.