We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

Not sure if this has been discussed here before, but thought I'd share... I was just looking up discounts for broadway shows and noticed that on the theatermania.com page, if you are on the page for a particular show, at the bottom on the page there's a box listing a few restaurants near that theater. I'm assuming they are paid ads but they are still handy, as when you click the restaurant there's a little write-up, map, and link to the restaurant's website (if there is one).

Just thought I'd share this as every day there seems to be posts on here looking for advice on restaurants near this or that theater. I will be one of those people soon (once I have all my show tickets) so thought this was a neat feature! (no, I'm not associated with their website!)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

I think those are paid ads too.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

I figured... I just think it's still useful for that common "what's nearby" question.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

You're better off using menupages.com and opentable.com.

So, what tickets have are you holding?

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

Sherry, here is another method that is handy. If you know the street address of the theater, you can put it into maps.google.com and of course, it will deliver to you the map. But if you look a little more closely near the top of the page you will see a link that reads, 'Find businesses'. If you click that, G asks 'Find what', if you type 'restaurants' or 'bars' or 'hardware stores' the Big G delivers their responses in a list on the left and locates them on the map center panel. It's a great feature.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

thanks... all these things I'm learning!

I have looked at menupages and opentable but unless I'm missing something they don't seem to get so specific... but thanks natif-n-y for mentioning the GoogleMaps feature -- I didn't realize you could do that (yes I suppose I'm somewhat behind the times!) I've used the maps before but hadn't noticed that feature. I can see myself using that often now, so thanks!

Bettina... we've bought Jersey Boys, and I'm waiting for the May/June discounts to appear on broadwaybox or theatermania to buy In the Heights and Avenue Q (I was browsing for discounts when I discovered the apparently not-so-unique restaurant-finding feature!)

thanks

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

The August Wilson Theater ("Jersey Boys") is at the northern end of the theater district. My picks nearby are ViceVersa, Maria Pia, Eatery, Bar Americain, Insieme, Vinyl (casual).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

Once you have a group of restaurants on menupages you're considering, there's an option toward the top of the map that says map these and you can see how far each is from the theater.

8. Re: Finding a restaurant near a particular theater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 00:18