We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priveline - How good are the hotels?

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Priveline - How good are the hotels?

Hi all,

We are coming to NYC from the 30/12/08 - 4/1/09 for our honeymoon.

A friend suggested to try the priceline site for a hotel. I gave a very cheap price of $250 pr night for a 4star delux hotel midtown was $1400, nearly $1000 cheaper than anywhere else!!. The only thing is that it dosent name the hotel which i am unsure about.

Can anyone give any advice or share experiences please

Thanks in advance

Gordon

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priveline - How good are the hotels?

You should check out the websites that are specifically aimed at helping with Priceline and Hotwire:

www.betterbidding.com

www.biddingfortravel.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,993 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priveline - How good are the hotels?

Gordon, you need to look at the hotel lists on betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com

In general, the 4* hotels are all good (although I don't like the Sheraton which is a 4* in midtown west so I would not bid on mtw).

Some are great and others are not. I would not personally use Priceline for a honeymoon, but I don't know what your budget is or where you'd chose without them. Your problem is NYE is an expensive night.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priveline - How good are the hotels?

Gordon, when you bid on Priceline, you won't know exactly what hotel you are getting until your bid is accepted and they've got your money! They say that is how they can offer rooms at such low rates. But the hotels available are graded by the star system, so if you want a great hotel, limit your bid to four star hotels only. For a honeymoon, I should think that is what you are looking for, as it is the only one you'll ever have.

I'm a bit confused by your post: do you mean you have already placed a winning bid for a room for over nine months from now? That would be very unusual for Priceline, as they usually don't have rooms available that far in advance.

I would suggest you look at www.betterbidding.com and very carefully read the tips given there about how to bid on Priceline. The site has good strategies as to how to bid, they have lists of many of the hotels available on Priceline in the various neighborhoods of NYC, and people can post their winning bids so others have an idea of what rooms are going for during a particular time period.

As you are probably aware, the first few nights of your stay will be very costly, as New York is a very popular place for ushering in the New Year. The last few nights, however, will be very reasonable, as the first weeks of the year are usually devoid of most of the tourists. When you deal with Priceline, you want to make sure you already have something booked that you can cancel if and when you win on Priceline. That way you won't be stranded if Priceline doesn't work out. Also, the longer the stay, the harder it is to get a room through Priceline, so your six night visit may make that difficult.

Whatever happens, congratulations, and enjoy your honeymoon visit.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priveline - How good are the hotels?

Rocco, just to clarify on behalf of the OP: Priceline also offers straight-booking unidentified hotels (ie no bidding required) for cheap, like Hotwire. It's just that I think most people use it for the bidding instead.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priveline - How good are the hotels?

Thanks Guys!

I haven't bid on a hotel room, I went as far as the section where it required credit card details.

The hotel that I have in mind is the library Hotel, it is on priceline but the prices they quote are the same as all the other sites at the moment.

I will check out the other sites that were recommended to do some research!

Thanks

Gordon

6. Re: Priveline - How good are the hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 03:20