We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

Dear Experts and Fellow Travellers,

I urgently need your help.

I am going to New York NEXT WEEK with my boyfriend and i have reserved the Marcel hotel but have just seen an amazing deal on the Ravel Hotel in Long Island city.

However i am finding it really find to get reviews or a telephone number.

Can you please get in touch if you have heard of the hotel or have stayed there before. I really want to make sure that it isn't dodgy.

It just seems like a cool hotel and quite convenient to travel and see the attractions. Would you agree?

Thank you so much for taking time to read this,

Shar x

Oh here is the exact address of the hotel:

8-08 Queens Plaza South NY LONG ISLAND CITY US 11101

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

It's a new hotel, apparently. The number is here:

http://ravelhotel.com/

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

Check these reviews:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-22126588-prod-hotel-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AngaIfB4vdJlvA1LLZ.y6pTiphQB

It does exist,can't find a phone number but, frankly, I would stay in Manhattan if I had the choice.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

Thank you so much!!!!

I just got the reviews and discovered the website 10 minutes ago but thanks for your help.

The reviews are really hopeful and i shall book this hotel in a second. I love this website, who needs travel agents.

People on this site are always so helpful, ok, i'll stop going on.

Cheers ladies x

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
139 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

Hi Shar!

I booked this hotel for may myself. I would be greatful if you could send me small feedback on this hotel and area. Thanks in advance!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

Hi Arturas,

I decided to cancel this hotel. I was informed that it really was a bit far from the subway. If there was one close by i could'v justofied it but it is quite a few blocks away.

Also, you have to go through a 'rough' part of Queens to get there. This is waht others have told me. So i have decided to stay at the New Yorker for location.

If you are staying for longer than a week then i think it's ok but otherwise it would be quite a bit of back and fourth going on! Plus if you have been to New York before i don't think it would be that bad for location.

Hope this helps.

Shar

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
139 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

Hi Shar! Thanks for your reply. Since I have lived in NYC some time I will give a try to this hotel mostly because it looks ok and it cost at least 50% less than hotels in Manhattan. Greetings, Arturas

NC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

We travel to NYC often and thought this would be a good hotel to try because it is a fraction cheaper...it is not worth saving a few dollars. It is in a very bad location. It is not as nice as it looks in the photos. The staff is not friendly. The noise from the bridge kept us awake at night. There are no close by restaurants. To get to the subway you must walk ten blocks through a bad area. The Hotel is one block away from the highest crime rate projects in queens. They provide shuttle service to the subway but charge you $5 each time and do not tell you until you are checking out. They over charge for internet...no free business center like most hotels. The inconvenience and our safety were not worth the small amount of money we saved.

I am convinced any good reviews for this hotel must have been written by the staff.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

I am a big Queens booster and I agree that is a crappy location for a hotel. If you're looking to save money by staying in Queens, try the La Quinta in Sunnyside or the Comfort Inn right by Queensboro Plaza instead.

That hotel does not look convenient to travel to and from, by the way - it's a several block sketchy walk to the subway.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

I just rode by this hotel on the Five Boro Bike Tour on Sunday (which I will write about later.) What a HORRIBLE location! Really isolated and the only "civilization" in an essentially industrial area. Yes, you can have a fabulous view of the Manhattan skyline, but you'll be surrounded by rundown buildings, car repair shops and a beautiful but sadly deteriorating old church.

On the other hand, the area is great for B&W photographers. Very dramatic scenery to capture!

10. Re: Ravel Hotel, Fact or Fiction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 13:18