We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Boston to Niagara

Auckland, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving Boston to Niagara

Am looking at driving from Boston to Niagara and as it is a long journey , wish to stop somewhere overnight to break the journey. Could anyone suggest a spot , was thinking Saratoga Springs, but mainly because it appears to be about half way.

Are there things to stop and see along the way ? One person suggested the Baby Grand Canyon, but I cant find that mentioned anywhere.Perhaps it was an April Fools joke !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Boston to Niagara

1) You've posted this on the NYC board and you'd be better to post on the Boston board, although lots of NYers will have views. ;)

2) Why would you drive such a long way when you can fly so cheaply? Take a plane to Buffalo, NY and get rent a car there. kayak.com will show you airlines/fares. Jetblue.com is popular for this route.

3) Assuming you're visiting NYC as well, you could fly, NYC to Buffalo to see the falls and then fly Buffalo to Boston.

Saratoga Springs is a nice town but unless there are dozens of you making flying unaffordable, I wouldn't do the drive just to see it. Ausable Chasm is known as the little Grand Canyon and while it's inbetween the 2, it's more than a bit out of your way.

http://mountaingetaway.com/Guides/node/1642

Are you using maps.google.com ?

NY
Level Contributor
774 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Boston to Niagara

Ausable Chasm is worth it if you have the extra time. Chittenango Falls State Park is off I-90 near Syracuse and is a nice stop. If it is during the summer you may like to go to LilyDale (you can see my review if that interests you) or the Chautauqua Institution (www.ciweb.org) which is also in western NY.

Have a nice trip.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Boston to Niagara

Baby Grand Canyon is Letchworth State Park. Its very nice and they do have cabins. We love to hike there. Its not too far out of the way from Niagara Falls Less than 2 hours.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
921 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Boston to Niagara

Are you really set on stopping and making this a two day journey? I would say, even driving the speed limit and taking a few breathers along the way, that this drive could easily be done in one day.

With the above mentioned breaks, it could be done easily in 9 hours.

My BIL does this drive a few times a year to visit us in Buffalo and has no problem making it well under the 9 hour time. I think his best time has been 7.5 hours total..but then he does drive a bit above the speed limit (75-80) and rarely stops at all.

Although the legal speed limit on I-90 (the route you would take) is 65, the 'official' limit where a trooper would actually stop and ticket you would be above 75 mph. LOL I painfully learned this a few months ago when I was doing 90!

Anyway, getting back to your question, have you researched the wine making area (don't laugh) of NY state in the Finger Lakes region? It is a very beautiful area between Rochester and Syracuse. If you are one who enjoys wines, it is worth a stop, and yes, there are a few hotel chains that are near by where you could spend the night as to tour the area correctly would take around 4 hours or so...then there's always the tasting which would require a room rental!

Auckland, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Boston to Niagara

Thanks all for your help this gives me a few ideas on how to break the journey. AM driving as best way to see a country rather than flying point to point. Also looking at stopping on the Niagara to NYC drive and am wondering if Philadelphia is worth the stop.

Thanks all....

6. Re: Driving Boston to Niagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 11:18