We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sofabed

Waalwijk, The...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
sofabed

Hi

we will travel to NY soon, with 3 persons, my wife, her dad and myself. We booked a room with a king bed and a sofabed. Would a sofabed suit for my father in law to sleep on?

thanks

PS booked a Marriott hotel

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sofabed

depends how old he is, whether he is in good health and is happy to sleep on it! I stayed at Radio City and my 50 something mum slept on the sofa bed and was fine.

Waalwijk, The...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sofabed

he is in his late 50s and in good health!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sofabed

I hear the sofabeds at the Marriott are very nice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sofabed

Sofabeds are never as comfortable as a regular bed. Which Marriott did you book? The Courtyard Midtown East has some rooms with 2 queen beds and that would be much better imo.

Waalwijk, The...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sofabed

It's the residence inn at 6th av.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sofabed

Aha, they don't have rooms with 2 proper beds at that hotel. Tough decision. I have heard complaints about the comfort of the sofabeds there and I'm assuming you asked the question because you saw the review following review here on the subject.

"We have just returned from our first visit to NY. After weeks of research, I chose the Marriott Residence Inn. The junior suite was a little crowded but enough room for myself, my husband and my 13 yr old daughter. Positives include great location, useful kitchen, early check in, great complimentary full breakfast. Negatives include sofa bed not so comfortable, bathroom on the small side and not much drawer space. Would upgrade next time to a one-bedroom. Overall, a pleasant experience and feel I made the right choice."

What the poster doesn't realize is there is no 1 bedroom suite at this Residence Inn and I've heard complaints before about the sofabeds there. They also say the bathroom is small and if you take a virtual tour of a room on the hotel website, it looks pretty close to me. The location is great, the free breakfast sounds great, they even do free food in the evening. Just not sure this is going to be comfortable for the 3 of you.

Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sofabed

Depending on how long you're staying, it may be worth your while to pick up something like this. This particular one could be picked up near the subway in Queens, or possible delivered directly to your hotel. You'd need to get a portable pump, too.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00620001000P?keyword=air+bed&sid=S-on-Kx20k061224x0000001

Waalwijk, The...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sofabed

thank you all for your help. Finally we have decided to stay in a hotel with 2 proper beds.

kind regards

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sofabed

Which one???

Waalwijk, The...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sofabed

I booked the Hyatt in Jersey city, hotel looks nice, but still I am not 100% sure as the hotel is in Jersey, and not Manhattan. We look for a modern hotel, a room with 2 double beds, and a breakfast included in the rate. This is what we found at the hyatt for $1600 for 4 nights from April 26th.