We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
924 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

Hi - flying up to LaGuardia next Thursday night (July7) with my 9 year old son. Staying at the Times Square Doubletree. Have some questions on things to do and how to get around.

Our flight is scheduled to land 7:30 p.m., so hopefully we are checked in our hotel by 9:00 or so. Am thinking of heading over to the ESB after we check in. If I remember from my last trip, ESB is open until Midnight? When I went last year about 10:30 p.m. on a weeknight last year there was not much of a line. Is this typical?

Friday morning we have tickets for the 9:45 SOL tour. What Subway should I take from Times Square (I think the #1?) and how early should I plan to leave. I was thinking of heading out around 7:00 or so to be there to get my tickets as early as possible.

Friday evening we have Yankees - Indians tickets. Will be leaving our Indians gear at home. What subway rides do I need to get to the Stadium from Times Square?

Can I get an all day Subway pass since I have a few subway trips on Friday?

Saturday evening we have tickets for Lion King. Probably will pack the entire suit for both of us to wear, but if I just end up with dress pants and shirt for both of us (no jackets or tie), will we be out of place? I understand the theater is close to our hotel, so I think I am OK there.

Probably will want to do one lunch at ESPN Zone as we are both sports freaks. Otehr than that, open to suggestions for food.

I know my son wants to see Trump Tower. Will probably walk by there. We will do Sunday morning mass at St. Patrick's before leaving to cacth our 1:25 flight home.

I am sure we will be touristy. Will do our best to not stop in the middle of the sidewalk. I fume when the Indianapolis tourists do that. :) Trying to teach my son how to not look too clueless when we are out.

This is the first of what I hope to be annual summer weekend trips to catch baseball in some of the great parks and see some our great cities. We already talking about Boston next year and probably Baltimore - D.C. in a few years. Will try to tie it to places he learns about in school each year. After we booked this trip, I found out he will learn about early American History next year , up to the 1820's or so, so Boston will great in 2006.

Thanks in advacne for your help.

Dave in Indy.

1. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2005, 02:37
New York City NY
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

Ignore that last post. He is just a rabble rouser. Okay here we go:

ESB: open till midnight but last elevator leaves at 11:15 pm. We have heard here that line seems to be short late at night. Are you sure you won't be too tired from travelling?

SOL: The train should take about 30 minutes to get there maybe more depending on how busy it is. Rush hour in NYC is between 8-9 am as most start work at 9. Trains take longer than but the local 1 usually isn't as busy as some of the express trains.

Yankee Stadium: If you go to 42nd and 6th Avenue you can catch the B train straight to Yankee Stadium.

Metropass: All day pass is $7 and each trip is $2.

Play: You will be fine in just nice slacks and a button down. Many tourists now go in pants and sneakers.

Sounds like a great trip. You will have a blast I am sure. :)

3. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2005, 02:37
Rochester, New York
Destination Expert
for Rochester
Level Contributor
450 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

You can wear Indians gear to the Stadium. The only people who get in trouble are the ones who act like jerks and draw attention to themselves.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

i even was okay in my red sox jersey in the stands at the stadium. :)

new york, ny
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

i agree that a suit is unnecessary for the play.

i would definitely also check out central park. if your son get antsy just walking around the park, you can always go to the little rides or visit the zoo (it is small, but nice and the penquins are so cool).

st. patrick's is beautiful.

you guys are going to have so much fun!

New York City
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

Hi Dave -- Sounds like you've got a terrific handle on the planning!

One thing -- if you take the #1 downtown, be sure to get into the front few cars of the train; if I remember correctly (been a while since I've gone down there by train), the back cars do not platform at the South Ferry Station. They start making announcements to that effect a few stops before, but it's best to sit in the first few cars to avoid having to walk between cars.

Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

I have one suggestion, if you have not stayed at the Doubletree TS before, request a corner room with the windows that wrap around, on a high floor. My husband and I stayed at one in March and the room was beautiful. Very big and totally remodeled. Hope you have a great time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

You guys are going to have a GREAT time.

My daughter and I planned almost the exact itinerary several years ago, and neither of us have stopped talking about it. Lion King is awesome. Everytime we come to NYC, we see a new play, but we also see Lion King again. The music.....the costumes.....WOW! There's not a bad seat in the New Amsterdam theater. The first year, I had to buy a ticket from a scalper and got a balcony seat .... still good. Last year, we had 3rd row. You will see people dressed in all sorts of clothes -- casual to dressy. Dress pants and a shirt (no tie or jacket) is perfectly acceptable.

You can buy tickets to the Empire State Building on line, print them on your computer at home and avoid one of the lines. You will still have to stand in line for the elevator, but avoiding one line will give you more time for checking out the views from the 86th floor observatory. There's no additional charge for buying/printing the tickets from home. The tickets are good for any day, any time. You can also purchase an audio tour on line, if you want to know what you're looking at from the top of the ESB. http://www.esbnyc.com.

Yankee Baseball is fantastic. We love the Yankees, but our friend who went with us is a Red Sox die hard. He wore his Red Sox attire, and our seats were right behind home plate. No problems .... so wear your Indian stuff, if you want to.

Have you thought of taking your son to the Intrepid to see the airplanes? Or the ships at South Street Seaport? He would love it!

Have a wonderful trip!

Dallas, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Some ? for my trip next week. Input appreciated.

You will have a wonderful time! We were looking for a quick dinner prior to a play and stumbled upon 'Ellen's Stardust Diner' near Times Square. Retro 50's decor, broad menu with something for everyone (including a soda fountain). Waiters sing and dance (Grease, etc.). My kids loved it. Recommend getting there about 5:30PM-6:00PM as the line was around the corner quickly.