We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

Hi everyone - me again. See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1871489… for previous discussion.

Hotwire has a 3* in the Times Square area for $239/night for my dates (June 11-16), which according to Better Bidding will either be the Hilton Garden Inn or the Washington Jefferson, both of which have decent reviews. My backup is the Comfort Inn Midtown at $238. Should I still hold off for a better deal on Travelzoo, Priceline or Hotwire, or just book and have it over with? I'm looking for something nicer and/or cheaper than the Comfort Inn, but also a great location.

I also saw the Milburn on the UWS for $219/night on the hotel's own website. Staying somewhere that's more like an actual neighbourhood also has its own charm, as long as the subway is very close by and we can easily access the rest of Manhattan, as we are first-time visitors and have lots to do!

My other main concern is that we want to try to book a Big Apple Greeter and they need your number in New York for booking. Not sure if that's changeable after I have made the request, so I don't want to switch hotels on them very much.

What are your thoughts, NYers? Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

The Hilton Garden Inn is nicer than the CI Midtown. The Washington Jefferson is NOT. Don't take a chance. You have time.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

Are you taking a cellphone with you? can you just give the BAG that number?

I'm in the same boat as you... exactly actually (we're booked for the same hotel, June 9-13). I'm also hoping to save some money by switching to a diffn't hotel bidding on Priceline. You just have to decide how much the "risk" is worth to you. To switch to something non-cancellable hoping for better, but possibly getting a worse or location for the exact same price is not worth it in my opinion. For us, the location of the CI is great as we'll be doing a lot of theatre, so I'm only going to switch if I can save at least $200.

Anyway not sure if that's helpful for you, but those are my plans, for being in the same situation!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

Thanks as always NYWhiz. You're very patient with me. ;)

Sherry, that's too funny! I agree with you, I am just sort of "testing the waters" since I haven't been before and want to get things right. Maybe we'll be seeing you at the CI in June! Which shows are you checking out? We're still deciding.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

Oh, and no, the BAGs don't accept a cell number. Hence my dilemma!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

hmm, tough regarding them not taking a cell #. But I would suspect they get people switching hotels all the time... I'd just tell them what you know now, then call & switch later if you have to. (that being said, I have no experience with the BAGs so hopefully someone who has can let you know if this is true!)

We are seeing Avenue Q on the 10th, Jersey Boys on the 11th and In the Heights on the 12th. I'm VERY excited for all 3!

PS I should clarify, when I say I want to save $200 I mean over our 4 nights; I am not expecting to save $200/night! Just re-read my post & realized it might sound confusing!

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

I saw that the Park south hotel on quikbook.com is going for 219$ and has breakfast included in the price. The subway is a couple of feet away at the corner 28th and Park avenue south. It is around a 3 star. It depends for what you are looking for. It is a smaller hotel than the Hilton but has other qualities because of its smaller size. It is a nice area of town that I like staying in.

The best thing about quikbook is that you can cancel without having to pay anything but I always read the fine print just to be sure!

7. Re: Switch 2* Backup with 3* on Hotwire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 12:17