We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

Dublin
Level Contributor
6 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

Hi Guys,

Can you help me out? I'm looking for a 2BR apartment in midtown NY (flexible with location) for 4 nights in August.

Price range should be around $200-$300 per night.

Its for 3 guests in total.

I've been looking on Craigslist and also homelidays.com as well as apartments2book.com.

I've found some I like on lodgis.com and two more via Craigslist.

I'm just not 100% sure. Is this a reliable method of booking accomodation. Is it safe?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

Check the FAQs- no, it is not a reliable method of accomodation, and it is not safe. The majority of NYC housing does not allow for short-term stays. I'm not sure why so many people seem to think otherwise.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

"Is this a reliable method of booking accomodation. Is it safe?"

Probably not.

Welcome to the forum.

NYC does not have the same "vacation apartment rental" culture that is popular in other cities. Unfortunately, here the practice is rife with scams, rip-offs and illegal rentals.

Best is to book a hotel. Others will chime in with ways to find sopmething in your price range.

For more about real-life apartment scams, read this collection:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270… Renting_a_vacation_apartment_a_collection_of_posts-

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

I recently stayed in a 2 bed apartment, described as West Village, but was probably more Meat Packing district.

There were 3 of us in it, and we found it great for our needs. We booked it through citylights bed&breakfast, as recomended on the site. If you are making an enquiry the address of the apt is West 13th St.

Good luck.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

2 bedroom apts. are not common and generally very expensive. For 3 people, most folks on a budget would get a 1 bedroom with 2 double or queen beds in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room.

Best Western Hospitality and the Kimberly are near each other in midtown east and have some some 2 bedroom suites but they'll likely be above your budget. The Metro Hotel has a 2 bedroom suite but it doesn't come with a living room or kitchen. It's just 2 bedrooms (1 with king bed, the other with 2 singles) and a bathroom.

Renting from craigslist is very dangerous, esp for just 4 nights. If you want to try for a private apartment, contact

nyhabitat.com

and ask what they have for your dates (don't bother pouring thru ads online)

www.apartments2book.com in London may have something.

There are a few hotels that have regular rooms with 3 beds if you're just 3 friends.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

Dublinminx, I thought that you had established that rental wasn't a legal one?

I think there is a growing number of people in New York who are getting completely fed up with tourists forcing their way into residential buildings where they have no business staying. The buildings are not zoned for this and the residents do not want transients there.

San Francisco, Maui, and New Orleans are some other places in America with VERY strict regulations on renting "vacation" apartments. It's not just New York.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

I agree with Alice. It seems that tourists, in an effort to save a buck, besides risking their own money and ending up with no place to stay are really inconveniencing others who actually live here. A couple months ago there was a posting from someone who had tourists showing up at his front door, someone "rented" his home (and even though they are apartments, these are our HOMES) without his knowledge.

How would you like someone shacking up in your garage and out on your lawn, it basically is the same thing when people who do not belong in our buidings are coming and going? Think about that. It is a safety and quality of life issue and please do us a favor and stop making our lives less enjoyable in your effort to save money.

And just because renting homes and apartments is a common practice in other parts of this world has absolutely no bearing on what happens here. We deserve to not have our homes treated like some flop house.

Rant over.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

Just to clarify- the apartment that Dublinminx stayed in was NOT a legal rental, and it sounds like the neighbors are none too pleased about that:

"It was in a building with elevators, and we were requested to say if asked, that we were visiting the owner. I'm not quite sure what this implies, but I assume renting out her apartment is frowned upon/or forbidden?"

People in that building are either paying many thousands of dollars a month (or likely paid over a million dollars if they own their unit). When they signed their leases or purchase agreements, they did so with the understanding that they would be living in a building with like-minded New Yorkers, not the random tourists of the week.

Frankly, I find that sort of lack of respect completely appalling. If people really have such little regard for the New York City and its residents, they should pick another place to spend their vacation.

For the record, this rant isn't directed toward the initial poster on this thread, but to anyone who thinks nothing of dumping all over a city over eight million people call home.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,666 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

In the UK, "buy to let" is an established practice. In my daughter's London building, most flats are owned by individual absentee owner/landlords, and are sublet to rental tenants. In most cases, these are one- or two-year leases, but there are some holiday lets as well.

By contrast ...

In NYC, and some other places in the USA, most residential apartment buildings have tight restrictions even on long-term sublets.

One building we investigated permits only one two-year sublet for the duration of ownership, with that sublet being subject to a lengthy board approval process. After that one sublet, the owner must move back into the apartment himself, or get out of the building entirely.

Some NYC buildings even limit use of apartments as "pied a terres" for the owners themselves. Those buildings insist that any potential owner must intend to use the apartment as a primary residence - not as an occasional or weekend home.

In the vast majority of NYC apartment buildings, short-term (i.e. transient, or vacation) rentals are not allowed at all. There is even increasing pressure to prevent owners from allowing their adult children and other family members to inhabit the apartments when the owner is not in residence.

Of course, there are some owners who try to get around the rules and hope that their neighbors will not notice, or will not care. As AlicePalace says, the neighbors are increasingly "fed up", and they are eager to report infractions. Even if you get your foot in the door, you might not feel particularly welcome. Even worse, you might find yourself out on the street!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

Alice, whilst I appreciate NY has a problem with illegal renting. How can you be sure the apt I rented was one? I rented through Citylights, which is recomended by regulars on the forum.

Another regular poster posed this theory re the apt I recently rented..

"You rented it through CityLights, right? They've been around for a long time and are a legitimate company. It's possible that the building you were in simply has no rules one way or the other about renting out vacation apartments, and the owner wants to keep it that way. (This is the case in the building where we live--one of our neighbors rents out her apartment from time to time and no one seems to mind.) Or it could be what Alice describes. Hard to say."

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for 2BR Apartment in August. ..

If you were supposed to be in the apartment that you were using as a vacation rental, the agency wouldn't ask you to lie and tell the neighbors that "you're just visiting the owner."

If everything was on the up and up, why in the world would you have to tell a bold-faced lie? The owners and agency are clearly aware that tourists aren't welcome in the apartment, but are too greedy to care.