We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days should I spend in New York?

Woodland, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How many days should I spend in New York?

So on my way back to California from coming back from Europe I am thinking of stopping in New York. I was thinking three days but am not sure if that would be enough to see a few things. Of course I know there's way too much to see and that it can't be crammed in in three days. But I just want a little blip of New York, not a grand tour or anything. Any suggestions?

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

Three days is just enough to get a severe misconception about what NYC is like. I wouldn't bother for less than a week, personally.

What are you interested in seeing?

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
100 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

My first trip was five years ago, and I only stayed three days. I felt like I didn't see everything I wanted to, but I did cover a LOT of ground in three days. I am planning my second trip this summer (for my daughter's graduation present) and we are staying four nights (but almost 5 days - an early flight in & and a late flight out). If you can allow only three days, I wouldn't hesitate to go.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

You haven't been here before?

If you only have three days, then come for three days, but I would agree stay longer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

Think of it as a way to cut the long trip and get over some jet lag. 3 days will be enough to get you some rest, hopefully whet your appetite to come back to NYC. I stopped in San Francisco on the way back to NYC from Hawaii and 3 days was perfect. The only thing I'd ask is how long will you be in Europe. If it's a long time and you've left kids at home, you might be anxious to just get home.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

Three days is never enough for me, but it might be just the right amount of time for you to fall in love with this city.

If you can, stay on the Upper West or East side and enjoy the neighborhood. Walk through Central Park. Subway to other locations.

See a Broadway show if that works for you. Head up to Top Of The Rock.

Even for 3 days you can be a part of the energy that is New York.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
PLano, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

I've been to NY twice and am about to go for my third time. The first time was 2 years ago and it was just for 3 days. I thought it would be my only trip, but loved it so much I've been back. BUT, on our first trip for 3 days we packed in a ton of stuff, and it was well worth it, even if I had never gone back. Here's what we did.....

--Letterman, free tickets

--Conan, free tickets

--Central Park

--Boat to Statue of Liberty

--Double decker hop on and off bus tour; hopped off at Ground Zero and walked part-way across Brooklyn Bridge.

--Metropolitan Museum of Art (about an hour)

--Wandered around Times Square and 5th Avenue

--Today Show one morning

--Top of Empire State Building

----Greenich Village

Second trip with another person (so redid some stuff)

--Grand Central Terminal

--Drowsey Chaparone & Chicago musicals

--Wall Street/revisited ground zero

--Harbor boat tour

--Conan (again)

--Top of the Rock at night

I like to be on the go all the time. If it were me and I had only 3 days, but wanted it to be more relaxing, I would limit it to

--a musical

--double decker bus tour (only because you get more of an overview of Manhattan, and if it is your only time, that was great for me)

--Central Park

--Boat out to Statue of Liberty

--Walk part of Brooklyn Bridge

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,559 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

You should definitely bother, even if the most you could make was 1 day.

Generally, the best advice is to come for as long as you can afford!

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
110 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

'How many days should i spend in New york'

Answer...until the day you die!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

I'd stay for as long as I can afford to do so since there's so much to see and do in NYC. If 3 days is all you can afford, then let it be 3 days...

There are a lots of good suggestions in this thread. I'd like to add walking around SoHo and walking along Fifth Avenue.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days should I spend in New York?

We went for 2 weeks on our first trip. Loved this wonderful city- best in the world. If you only have 3 days I'd take it -you can do a lot and have a wonderful experience - you will just want to go back for more like we do.