We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Neighbourhoods

ipswich
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New York Neighbourhoods

I'm returning to New York next month for my second visit, I visited 18 months ago for only 3 days so didn;t get to do everything I wanted to. I would really love to visit one of you typical residential neighbourhoods as they look so different from where I grew up in London. Can anyone suggest a really nice area where I can just walk around, absorb in the atmosphere and have a real feeling of whats its like to live in New York.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

I like Greenwich Village - Bleecker St is a good start for a wander and just take it from there.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

Hi Lou.. I agree GV is a great neighborhood. My favourite is Tribeca. Stay away from Canal street - except to cross over into soho. Have breakfast at Bubby's and wander around - great architecture and little shops. Also can head over to the river and walk toward Battery Park area for some great people watching and views.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

What do you mean by "typical residential neighborhood"? What sort of employment would you imagine the local residents to have is a good question to start with.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

East Village between 2nd Ave and Avenue B are great neighborhoods to walk around. Little shops, bars, restaurants. All neighborhoody in feel.

West Village is very beautiful, but more touristy.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

Well, if you really want to get a feeling for what it's liken to live in New York, you should consider going to to one of the so-called "outer boroughs" - only 20% of city residents live in Manhattan.

I currently live in Park Slope, Brooklyn which is a nice blend of beautiful residential streets and charming neighborhood shops and restaurants. It's not very difficult to reach, definitely safe (as is most of NYC), and well worth a few hours.

to play Devil's advocate however:

1) Park Slope has undergone significant gentrification over the last 10-15 years so may not exactly be "typical" and,

2) many parts of "the slope" actually feel quite a bit like parts of London.

I'm sure others can also recommend other great places outside of Manhattan. Kudos to you for wanting to get out of the tourist trail!

ipswich
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

Thanks for all your ideas, visiting the outside boroughs sounds great. I grew up in the East End of London (so not directly in the city) in a terraced victorian house (very average), and I guess I would just love to see your 'version' of that kind of neighbourhood.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

Someone once said there are as many New Yorks as there are New Yorkers (I think it was Kennedy Moore).

The Village, west of 7th Ave., has beautiful mid 19th century brownstones and townhouses, many quaint winding streets and lots of postage stamp-sized restaurants. Walk along Grove, Bedford, Commerce, Perry Streets. You'll get lost, and that's o.k., you'll discover your own hidden treasure there.

Take the subway out to Brighton Beach, NY's Russian neighborhood. Explore the shops and restaurants, walk along the boardwalk (Coney Island is a short walk away). You'll think you're in Odessa.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

The typical New York neighborhood is a neighborhood that is not in Manhattan. The most populous borough is Brooklyn, followed by Queens, and between them those two boroughs account for well more than half of the city's residents. Thus, if you want to see more typical New York neighborhoods, Brooklyn and Queens seem to be good places to check out.

Some neighborhoods with atmospheres of their own that you might want to check out (and that are easily accessed by subway) include Astoria, Woodside, and Jackson Heights in Queens, and Williamsburg (and I don't mean "hipster" Williamsburg), Greenpoint, Bay Ridge, and Bensonhurst in Brooklyn.

ipswich
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

Thanks to you all. There are so many suggestions there I think I may well spend more time out of the city now than I will in it.

Can't wait. 38 days to go

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Neighbourhoods

Tinkerl, from your description, you might want to check out Midwood or some other neighborhoods south of Prospect Park in Brooklyn:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwood,_Brooklyn