We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

We are in NYC for a few days and only have one night to attend a Broadway play. We are having a very hard time making a decision!

What play do you think would "blow" her away?

I was going to take her to Les Mis since it's back, however, others recommend, Wicked, Grease or Cry Baby? She did not like Phantom at all.

Any thoughts?

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Hi, you will probably get loads of recomendations but as having a daughter about the same age and knowing that she would be able to sing along "Mama Mia" would be a good choice. We enjoyed it anyway and if you book ahead you should get great seats at decent prices.

London, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Hairspray all the way!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Wicked would be great if you can get tickets and don't mind paying a premium to do so. (It's never discounted.) I agree with the previous posters that Hairspray and Mamma Mia might be good choices, and I would also think about Legally Blonde (only if she's a fan of the movie) or Curtains.

Did she not like Phantom b/c it's too much of a straight-up musical? In other words, would she like something less conventional? If so, she might like In the Heights. Also--and I hope this doesn't start another fight!--if she's particularly mature and you're comfortable with her seeing/hearing some 'adult' content, Avenue Q and Spring Awakening and both fantastic. But you should learn more about those before deciding:

http://www.springawakening.com/home.php

http://www.avenueq.com/

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

"Wicked" might not be the "best of the rest" but (you've gotten many great recommendations here), it's really, really good! Worth the money.

I know this might be a silly suggestion, but have you considered seeing Mary Poppins? It's quite different than you might expect...we loved it in London last year and saw it with young adult children who enjoyed it too. Is it still in New York?

If "Billy Elliot" is in town during your stay, (opening this summer, maybe?), I'd take her to see that above all others.

I didn't "like" Phantom at all either, nor did I "like" Les Miz, nor do I particularly care for anything of A.L.Webber's, but that's just me (and my kids). Have a great visit!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Previews for Billy Elliot start in September, and the official opening is in October.

Mary Poppins is indeed still running here.

Also, MJNM, if your daughter is into satire and irony and whatnot, she might enjoy Monty Python's Spamalot, which, along with Avenue Q, is the funniest thing on Broadway right now.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Also, if you're here before September 7th, she might go for Rent, which is probably responsible for turning more teenagers into fans of musicals than any other show in history:

http://www.siteforrent.com/home_01.php

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

I found myself wondering if I was being punished for something I had done wrong in a previous life while I was sitting and suffering through RENT.

My kids loved it (they went back with friends more than once). I must be getting old, but other than that one song...(the one counting the days) I couldn't understand a word spoken or sung. It was certainly loud enough, though.

Luckily, the variety of theatre offerings in New York right now is astounding and has something for everybody's tastes.

ottawa
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Just went to grease and despite the luke warm reviews it got it was as good as mama mia or Hairspray

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

Here are my 14 year old daughter's recommendations, in order:

1. Wicked-loved everything about it!

2. Mary Poppins- yes, she loved it, yes it is that good. The acting, singing, dancing are wonderful. The story follows the Mary Poppins books more than it does the movie. We all liked the story line better than the movie.

3. Legally Blonde- we saw it last weekend. She liked the movies but loved the musical. The main character presents a much stronger message of "don't judge a book by its cover" than she did in the movie. A great message for girls of this age.

4. Hairspray- Good but she thought the movie was better.

5. Lion King- that opening scene is amazing. She saw it several years ago and still talks about it.

She has not yet seen Mamma Mia but I have. It is a lot of fun and if she knows Abba music she will have a great time at this musical.

Hope that helps. Moms

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Broadway play for 14 year old?

In my opinion, RENT is an amazing piece of work, with fantastic music and an inspiring message..for all ages.

I have seen it twice with my girls on Broadway and we loved it.

I have a suggestion that may help..watch the DVD of RENT (it was made into a movie) with your daughter first. Then decide.