We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am back. What a wonderful city.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
I am back. What a wonderful city.

Hi all

Just got back earlier today. Had an absolutely great time. Firstly we travelled to and from the airport with Carmel limo and it worked out absolutely perfect. Our Hotel the Herald Square was very good. It is a no frills hotel but for us the location was great just around the corner from Macys.

The night we arrived we went to The View. It was great and we had a very good meal. The View was also very good. However our only gripe was that 7 of us had a round of drink that came to $81. A bit steep by our standards.

On Friday we hit the shops big time. The real shoppers went to Woodbury and were delighted with their purchases. They loved all the designer labels they got at knock down prices. The rest of us went to Macys and Jersey Gardens and we were delighted with our not so high end purchases. All in all the shopping was great and great bargains to be had if you dug around. We did a lot of shopping at Old Navy near Macys.

On Saturday I went to Century 21 and Ground Zero. Found ground Zero a very sombre and humbling experience. Century 21 was great lots of bargains especially in Sun Glasses. Saturday night we went on a dinner river cruise around Manhattan and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

On Sunday night we went to Mamma Mia. It was fab. (Carpenter it was excellent advice that you gave us regarding not going to Ground Zero after the high of Mamma Mia.) Went to Empire State Building on Sunday night at about 9pm. No Q at all. Walked straight into elevator. Had purchased our tickets on the website before travelling. ESB was excellent and our great views around the city. Be warned it is freezing on the observatory platform.

On Monday we walked around central Park and went skating at the Wollman what a great experience. Still got the bruises to prove it. Central park was great. The weather made our whole experience even better because it was so mild.

Got carmel limo to airport again yesterday with a driver called Paul who was so nice. Ask for him if you can he will make your trip so much more enjoyable. We left a bag at the Hotel and he was so helpful in making arrangements to have it sent to JFK in time to make the plane.

Had a great time, everybody so helpful from shop assistants to cab drivers,everybody. We have so many great experiences and memories. Also used the subway and it was so easy once we had done it once there were no more taxis, but when there are a few of you travelling together the taxis work out really cheap.

Our trip was made so much easier by all the advice given to me by you and everything fell into very easy.

Roll on our next trip to your fab city.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

So thrilled you had a great time and everything worked out well. Also glad that the hotel was ok. Was there bullet proof glass around the front desk?

Do you wish you had done anything differently? Did you find everything you wanted to buy?

For those yet to come, we have freezing rain here today and high winds. I don't think you should assume the weather will continue to be as warm as it has been.

Waterford, can you tell us a bit more about the cruise? If it's very cold, would it still be a good thing to do? (ie how much of it is standing outside?)

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

That is the Hotel. Just one word of caution. They had a guy that looked after our luggage the day we left and when the car arrived he loaded it. One of the girls was late back and we knew there were 2 pieces of her luggage in the car but she couldnt see the 3rd and the guy who looked after her luggage assured he that it was there because it was not in the luggage room. But when we got to the airport it was not in the car. Between the jigs and the reels it was eventually found and she had to pay $50 to get a cab to deliver it to the airport and only barely made it. So just be ware and check yourself that all her your luggage is in the car.

The cruise was fab preferred it to the view restaurant and I think even if it was colder we would have enjoyed it as much. Not sure if we had rain but you can wrap up for the cold.

Things I would have done differently? Only one I would have come for longer and then I would not be trying to pack so much into a few days.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

You only need to stand outside for as much as you want to. We were up and down between courses. We thought it was a fab way to see Manhattan and Statue of Liberty and still have a night out. We didnt really dress up for it but there were some men there in Black Tie so you can dress up as much as you wish.

London, England
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

Waterford so happy that you had a great time. You are known as the shopping queen after all! (Well that's the impression I got from your pre-NY posts.)

I'm glad that you decided to write a report. It's nice to hear fresh reports from visitors so we can get a good idea of what to expect before we go. I hope everyone keeps it up. Sometimes people come back and don't post. But I'm always interested in people experiences and impressions.

Just a few quickies. How long was your stay? Did you feel like you did everything that you planned? Did you walk around late at night and was it safe?

Lastly, (I feel like I'm interviewing you now, but anyway...) what are the three things that every new visitor to NY should experience/do?

Thanks so much

Kx

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

I have no problem answering questions I asked enough b4 I went and without the help I got here I would not have been so organised. We walked everywhere at night stuck to the main Avenues 6th and Broadway etc felt so safe. Felt safer than I did in the small town in Ireland that I come from. Didnt do it on our own always with a few but wouldnt do that in Ireland either.

Three things you have to do. Empire State Building. We did it about 9pm no qs at all. Had tickets pre purchased. Looking down on Manhattan by night was brill. Was amazed to see the planes stacked up in the sky to come into land.

I went to ground Zero I felt I couldnt come to NY without doing that. It was a very emotional and humbling experience and I am glad I did it.

We did a night time dinner cruise which again was great way to see Manhattan by night again and all the bridges.

Mamma Mia was just out of this world.

The only thing I didnt get to do was the Brooklyn Bridge didnt have time and decided to save it for a time when I bring my hubby and kids back.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

Another thing I would do differently I would bring my hubby to carry the bags.

Dublin
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

Hi Waterford,

Welcome back, I trust all the Xmas shopping is done and nearly wrapped ! Great to see you had a such a wonderful time, all your research seems to have paid off. My husband is constantly slagging me, probably due to the phone bills, internet connection being rather high. I told him we should have gotten broadband in ! Anyway, you are living proof that all the R & D carried out paid off. Myself and the hubby went last year after Xmas for a wedding and it was hectic. This year we are taking the three monsters, aged 9, 5 and 23 months old. We must be mad. Anyroad, looking forward to it, have looked into loads of places to amuse the kids, ultimately, they'll make or break the stay anyway, we figure, if their happy at least we have a fighting chance of getting a nice meal out of them, the flight however, should be great fun ! I was thinking of booking Carmel limos and will definitely now seeing as you had such a good experience with them. It's quite an addictice place to visit isn't it ? I'd have no problems going there every year, especially in the summer, I'd say it would be brilliant fun with the weather being warmer, apparantly, one if the ice rinks in Upper Central Park is an outdoor swimming pool by summer. Anyway, catch up on some sleep now and thanks again for your report.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

Please let me know how you get on with the kids because I have 4 kids between 11 and 3 and in 2 yrs I hope to go back again for hubby's 40th. We were going to do 3 wks in florida but now I think we will do 2 weeks in Florida and 1 week in NY. Take them to the Empire State Building by night because there are no Qs and Qs can be very trying when you have kids that keep asking are we there yet.

Dublin
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

Waterford,

Will let you know in the New Year how it went. Fingers crossed it will go well. I have all the museums listed that will appeal to the nippers, I'm hoping to bring the big two to Radio City Xmas Show, also hope to do some ice skating at Wollman, obviously take in the big toy shops, and I learn from this forum that FAO Schwartz is back in action. When we were there last December, it was practically depleted of its stock and it was really run down. Also like yourself am going to book the tickets for the Empire States Building in advance, would never have known about that only for this. I think we'll brave a short cruise of Manhattan to take in Statue of Liberty. The kids also want to go to Coney Island (which will be deserted and bloody freezing) but heh, how bad. There is an acquarium over there too so I hope to take that in. Also a must is the zoo at the bronz. We're only going for 5 nights so I haven't a chance of doing all this, that or I'll get zero shopping in. We'll play it by ear, we'll head off early enough in the morning and try and do things that are close by, that was one thing that amazed me about NY was was actual size of it. Anyway, I'll stick up a post over the New Year. Hopefully it won't be like a script from a National Lampoons film.

Coventry UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: I am back. What a wonderful city.

Hi Trinity

I was just talking to my friend who lives in Donegal and they took 5 children!! one aged 18 months to NY 2 years ago and had an absolute ball - the kids LOVED it - her husband drove into NY with a mini-van they rented from New Jersey!!

She thought I was mad starting to panic about the crowds and bringing the baby - she said we would all love it and she thought that the hustle and the bustle of the crowds were the things that made it! Obviously Donegal is rather rural to say the least so I'm feeling a lot easier and reassured now!She reckons the toy shops alone will enchant and thrill the kids.

Have a wonderful trip.