We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

East Village, New...
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

Just curious what the general feeling is. Is is McSorley's, Ear Inn, Old Town Tavern, Pete's Tavern, or somewhere else?

Thanks,

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

The oldest building used continuously as a bar, tavern or restaurant is Bridge Cafe, in the South Street Seaport area. It has changed names and owners over the centuries, but it has never been closed since about 1780.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

The Fraunces Tavern claims to have been in business since 1762 and used by the dastardly revoluntionary chaps :).

http://www.frauncestavern.com/index2.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

interesting - I always thought it was Fraunces Tavern. Thanks for the info QB!

East Village, New...
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

It was my understanding that the Fraunces Tavern has been used for other things (including post revolution govermetn offices) and that the building has been rebuilt several times. I hadn't been aware of the Bridge Cafe though.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

I suppose it depneds on a definition of a tavern as the Bridge Cafe own website states 1794 and is claiming to be the oddest in NY.

http://www.eatgoodinny.com/New.York/

But reading the history of the Fraunces Tavern on it's website, it certainly sounds like it was a tavern and was originally called the Queen's Head - a good British name for a bar :).

All this talk of teverns is making me thirsy so I'm off for a few beers (Wendi - I'm off to the Market Porter at Borough Market. Hope that doesn't make you too jealous).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

If I remember correctly from the last time I went to Bridge Cafe, their literature says its the oldest location that has continually sold alcohol - not necessarily as a bar, or a restaurant. At one point I believe it was kind of a general store where you could also get hooch.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

I thought the White Horse Tavern could be a frontrunner for this title. Its website says it's been around 1652.

http://www.whitehorsetavern.com/history.htm

NYC
Level Contributor
911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

I believe Mc Sorley's is the oldest, continuous bar (1854).

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

Maybe this will shine some light...or not

nymag.com/nymetro/nightlife/barbuzz/11924/

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oldest bar/tavern in NYC

Kate -

That White Horse Tavern is the one in Newport, Rhode Island, not the one in the West Village.

I highly recommend it though (the Newport one) - fantastic Lobster Benedict for brunch!