We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yankee game

redlands
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
yankee game

taking my son to his first yankee game aug 8 any suggestions about what we can do either outside the stadium or inside before the game as we will be getting there early. something fun to get him hyped for the game, he is 15. i know there is alot of shops and bars to check out but that is a little longer down the road for him.... i mean us!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Houston
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: yankee game

Make sure you head out to Monument Park before the game. While you're out there, you can watch the players take batting practice through the glass in the left field fence & maybe even catch a home-run ball. Of course, you could also hang out in the seats in left field as well.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
930 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yankee game

My son and I just returned from a weekend in NYC and a game at Yankee Stadium. We had a great time, but Yankee Stadium had our biggest disappointments. You can avoid my disappointment.

I had taken a small old duffel bag with me to carry our umbrellas and rain ponchos. This bag was about 12 inches long, smaller than many women's pursues and had nothing in it but the umbrellas and ponchos.

They would not let me take the bag into the stadium. I had a choice of taking the bag to a locker in a bowling alley "around the corner" or throwing the bag away. They graciously gave me a cheap plastic bag to put my stuff in.

I wanted to get us in to the Staidum in time to see monument park (web site says closes 45 minutes before the game) and it was about 70 minutes before the game, so I chose to throw our bag away and hurry in.

We quickly entered through Gate 2 in left field and headed for the entrance to monument park (not very well signed). As we were walking up they told us the park is closed for the night. This was 60 minutes before the game. When I asked why it was closed when the website said 45 minutes, I was told the area had to be cleared 45 minutes before the game and they needed time for the people in line.

Talk about adding insult to injury. As we walked to our seats, my son burst out in tears. Apparently he had an emotional attachment to the old duffel bag because of the "neat logo" on the bag. He was also upset about not being able to see the monuments.

As we sat in the stands we watched some people being led back to Monument Park as the start of the game was delayed by rain.

We also walked in to the Yankee Gift Shop and discover that I can buy a Yankee backpack (bigger than my now discarded duffel bag) for $18. Guess the Yanks don't make enough money as it is.

Of course I also saw some duffel bags considerably larger than mine in the stadium. I guess I just entered through the wrong gate.

In retrospect I should have taken their cheap bag and gone back away from the gate and put my rain gear in their cheap bag and stuffed my bag into my coat pocket or inside the poncho that I had in their bag.

So my advice - don't take any kind of bag with you that you don't want to lose. Take a plastic grocery store bag or clear garbage bag if you need something (or a woman with a big purse). And get there at least 75 minutes before the game to get a chance to view Monument Park.

Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yankee game

Have fun at the Yankees game!

We have gone early twice to get into Monument Park and the lines were too long. It is worth a try though.

We had fun strolling the shops "Stans" before hand and reading some of the t-shirts and window shopping.

You can always scope out what you want to eat later in the game. Batting practice is neat to watch as well. They have video clips on the big screen you can watch as well. Just taking it all in is fun for us.

You can take a bottle of water in with you, I suggest this it's $4.50 in the stadium. Just don't put it in any kind of "bag". You might want to check out their website for all the regulations, etc. yankees.com along with monument park info.

GO YANKEES!!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
304 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yankee game

We also got caught out like this trying to take small backpacks in with us, I don't understand why my wifes handbag was OK though!

We used the Bowling Alley left luggage and it worked very well, just worth knowning another time. Also don't try to take any kind of video camera with you.

White Plains
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yankee game

WOW, ysuindy. I'm embarrassed. What happened to you guys was just unacceptable, and I plan to let the Yankees know about it.