We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn Bridge Walk

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
891 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Brooklyn Bridge Walk

Will be in the city on Memorial Day Weekend staying in Astoria. I've always wanted to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. What is the best way to do it? Best to walk over and back? Subway over and walk back? Any time of day better? I also have no idea how to access it on either side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

If you're only planning to walk one way then I'd get the subway over to Brooklyn and walk back as then you'll have the fantastic views of Lower Manhattan in front of you.

UK
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

I went to the SouthStreet Seaport and caught the water taxi over to Brooklyn. The ride seemed like 2 seconds but good fun and then we walked to the start of the bridge and walked back. Walking back is best because you have the view of Manhattan in the background. GWB did "An idiots guide" to walking the Brooklyn Bridge which is v useful. You should type it in the search on this forum and take a look. Just dont buy v much at the seaport or you have to carry it everywhere!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

The directions and information are in the FAQ section at the top of the forum page.

I tried to copy/paste it but it would not let me.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

If you are only walking one way, the best way is to walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

From Astoria, take the N or W to Time Square, then change for the 2 or 3, which you would take to Clark Street.

Directions from Clark Street are here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k866178-…

If you are going to walk across AND back, you could make it more interesting by walking on two bridges. The Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges are at angles to each other, and on the Brooklyn side are very close together. I would start at the Manhattan end of the Manhattan Bridge at Bowery and Canal. Walk to Brookln, and then head up Jay Street to Tillary. Turn right on Tillary to Adams Street, where you will find the Brooklyn entrance of the Brooklyn Bridge, and walk back to Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
319 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

Walk from Manhattan to Brooklyn. Then head left off the bridge to go to down to DUMBO and the Fulton-Ferry/Brooklyn Bridge park, a great view of Manhattan, fabulous ice cream at the Ice Cream Factory, Jacques Torres chocolate, Grimaldi's pizza, etc. Then walk back to Manhattan. Walking across the bridge doesn't take too long anyway, 10 to 20 minutes.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

From end to end the Bridge is a little over one mile long. To say that it is walkable in 10 minutes presumes a steady walking speed of 7 miles an hour -- which is not likely.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
891 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

Thanks for the very specific information. I like the idea of walking over both bridges. I didn't realize you could walk over both. The distance isn't too far, especially if we stop to eat before we head back. Now I just hope the weather cooperates!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

If you do walk across the Manhattan Bridge, it would be an excellent idea to eat before you head back. There is an indifferent coffee shop called Celeste right at the corner of Tillary and Adams, at the Brooklyn entrance of the Brooklyn Bridge, but you can do better. On the other side of Cadman Plaza and to the right is the Park Plaza coffee shop/diner, which is decent. In the vicinity of the Clark Street subway station are a number of restaurants (with a number of Japanese sushi restaurants for some reason), and you could even walk down the hill to Pete's Downtown or Grimaldi's. Have a nice Italian meal with a view, or some pizza, and head back to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

IMHO, the Manhattan Bridge is not the best to walk over because there's always a lot of construction and rehab going on - but you do get a stunning view of the Brooklyn Bridge (since you're not on it!)

If you're a little more adventurous, the Williamsburg Bridge is a very pleasant walk. You're above the traffic for most of it, but be warned - ther are two plateaus on the walkway, so just when it levels off, you go up again before you go down! (Annoying from a bicyclists P.O.V.)

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
891 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brooklyn Bridge Walk

The Williamsburg Bridge...you mentioned if we were a little more adventurous. Was that just because of the way the bridge changes or something else? How far is it from the Brooklyn Bridge?