We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre booked Taxi

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Pre booked Taxi

Hi,

I have friends who have just returned from NYC & they said that there is a long wait outside the Airport for a Taxi into NYC.They were advised that hotels can pre book a taxi to meet guests at the airport. I have contacted Radio City Apartments and they don't offer this service. Can anyone tell me if there is a company that I can pre book a taxi to be waiting for us?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre booked Taxi

The car services that are the best value (similar price to taxis) do not wait for you. You phone them when you've got your luggage and then you wait for them (5-10 mins). They are

dial7.com

carmellimo.com

For someone waiting for you (called meet and greet) you will pay a premium including their parking fees and if your plane is delayed, they may charge waiting time. That said, for a nice service

strusserslimousineservice.com

has been well reviewed here. Their price supposedly includes everything, waiting time, tip, toll, parking etc.

PS While there may be long lines for taxis at certain times, the line moves quickly. Not always necessary to order a car service.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre booked Taxi

Thanks for that. Have just spoken to my neighbour and she said no need to per book the line moves fast, so will just leave it till we get there I think.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre booked Taxi

Not to complicate matters too much, but you can't pre-book a taxi in New York City; you simply hail one - or, in the case of the airport, get one at the taxi queue - and hop in when it stops at the curb. The option to be pre-booked is known as a car service, where you arrange a time and place to be picked up. As whiz said, for a car service at the airport you can call when you arrive and they will be around shortly to get you, or you can arrange to be met in the airport proper.

Which airport will you be using? From JFK to Manhattan there is a fixed taxi fare of $45, plus any tolls and a gratuity. Plan on $60. From Newark, the taxi fare is also fixed, but it varies, depending on your destination in Manhattan.

Regardless of airport, be sure to proceed to the official taxi queue and only accept a ride from the official taxi dispatcher. DO NOT accept a ride from someone who may approach you and offer to take you to Manhattan; they are operating illegally and are to be avoided.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre booked Taxi

Thanks for that.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre booked Taxi

I would recommend getting a car service such as dial 7 or carmel when you are returning to the airport though, especially if you are going to JFK or Newark. A taxi bill can add up especially if you are sitting in traffic.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,757 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre booked Taxi

There is no need to get a car service to return to the airport from Manhattan. The $45 flat fee ( plus tolls and tip) is for trips both FROM AND TO JFK. It doesn't matter what the traffic is. There have been occassional reports of drivers attempting to overcharge. Look at the price painted on the side of the vehicle. It clearly states the $45 flat fee price. It is illegal for a driver to refuse to take you where you want to go. Don't be sucker punched!! You can only be taken advantage of if you let them do it. AND now that you know the law....

7. Re: Pre booked Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 11:17