We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

STOKE-ON-TRENT
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

please can anyone recommend must-sees for a first time visit to nyc? also can anyone recommend any family friendly restaurants/delis/diners near to central station? thanx.

brooklyn, ny
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

Hi loowe,

I have one almost teenage boy who lives here in NYC, but is not himself an inquisitive visitor. Making helpful suggestions for you depends what your boys like to do, what interests them and where you are coming from. But, I am a NYC teacher and a mom, and here's my list of must sees:

Museums: The animal dioramas at the American Museum of Natural History (I use them with my classes all of the time), The Metropolitan Museum of Art (you only pay what YOU want to donate-the $20 is just a suggestion), The Museum of Modern Art, and the Guggenheim (always fun.)

Sights and places: The New York Botanical Gardens (okay, but I prefer Brooklyn), The Brooklyn Botanic Garden, The Brooklyn Promenade (for a stunning view of Manhattan), The Empire State Building (expensive-worth the view and wait?) and a visit to the Statue of Liberty (the ferry is the best part!)

Favorite parks: Central Park, Prospect Park, and Battery Park (close to Statue of Liberty Ferry).

Other areas: You might enjoy Chinatown, the South Street Seaport (although this is essentially a mall) and the village. If your kids want to kick or hit a ball around, try some of the ball fields in Riverside Park or the Parade Grounds in Brooklyn.

Just to see: Visit the International Center For Photography, The NY Public Library and Grand Central Station (for the architecture) and the UN. Oh, visit the Union Square Farmer's market, Mondays and Wednesdays, maybe Fridays, too. Also you must see Linclon Center. And, we have beaches: Riis Park is the best (but you need a car-but there might be a bus) and there's Coney Island, and the Aquarium! For an unusual adventure, go to the new Fairway Market and have lunch on the pier in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Visit the Waterfront Musuem while you are there. (Nice water views.)

Best shopping: the Village-Bleeker Street, 6th Avenue and around; Broadway between 8th Street and Canal Streets, Soho: Spring Street, Prince Streets and all of the little streets in and around them; 7th Avenue in Park Slope, Brooklyn; Amsterdam Avenue in the 70's and 80's in upper Manhattan.

My favorite restaurants (always with my kids, of course):

Supper-East Village, 2nd Street, Italian

Cafe Luluc- 214 Smith Street, Brooklyn, French?

Oriental Garden-traditional Dim Sum, yum, 14 Elizabeth St.

Grimaldi's Pizza-an experience but busy (go at off hours!) Brooklyn Heights, 19 Old Fulton Street.

Lombardi's is also good-Spring Street

For movies/shows: check out BAM and the Angelika for films, BMCC for shows and music, and look on line at High 5's for the arts for cheap tickets for off and off-off Broadway shows for teens. I would avoid Broadway shows and Times Square. Certainly don't buy anything near there-the prices are outrageous.

The best thing about New York is that you don't have to do anything expensive to experience New York. You can ride the subway someplace and just walk around looking at buildings or sit in a cafe and watch people. I love the stuff for sale on the street, especially in the village and Soho, and outside of the Met.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Good luck,

jenhardy

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

FAQ with loads of info here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627…

GRAND Central Terminal is in the east 40's. Look on menupages.com and use the features tab for kid friendly. Inside the terminal you'll find a number of family friendly places including Junior's (famous for their cheesecake), Two Boots Pizza and lots of other choices. Pershing Square is a popular breakfast place across from the terminal.

There's also a search function on the forum and lots of previous posts on the same subject. Here's one

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1625572…

I also urge you to try other neighborhoods like the village, Chelsea, the upper west side where people live (the Grand Central area is more offices). You'll find more families and more casual dining.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

jenhardy - Wow, thanks for that contribution and welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll have a lot more to add.

loowe - as was said, lots to do, but depends on ages, budget and tastes of everyone involved.

On the left side of this page, under "Things To Do" is an Insider Page on Family Friendly Travel in NYC.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

I remember reading a trip report from a family with 3 teenage boys a few days ago; here it is:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1983903…

PLano, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

I have been to NYC twice and am about to go again. The first time was with my son who was 20 at the time. Everyone has their own taste, but we loved Times Square, and we saw the broadway play, Spamalot. It was expensive, but so worth it. I would definitely visit Times Square esp at night.

6. Re: nyc for the first time with a family with two teenage boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 13:17