We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York In August

Kent, England
Level Contributor
235 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
New York In August

hi everyone!! i'm going to be in new york in august and i have a few questions!

1) i assume that the weather is going to be baking in august, but what sort of clothing is advisble? just jeans and t-shirts? or will i need light cardigans etc.. as well?

2) im staying a the tudor hotel near the united nations, has anyone ever stayed there? is it decent enough?

3) is the FDNY store still just around the corner from the rockerfeller centre?

4) i assume the metro runs on a sunday, will it be a limited service?

5) i'm also plan on travelling down to philladelphia and then DC whilst i'm in america using amtrak, however, has anyone from the UK used amtrak before? did you buy your tickets in advance (if so, how did you get the tickets? did they ship them?) or on the day (are they more expensive to buy on the day?)?

thanks so much to anyone who replies!! i do realise that there's quite a few questions!! alison, xx

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York In August

I can answer the Amtrak question. Last week we caught the train from DC up to NY, we purchased our seats online in advance then just picked up the tickets on the day of travel by inserting the credit card used into one of the ticket machines and out they came easy and very straightforward.

Don't forget that you'll need picture ID to show on the train, we used our UK drivers licenses (although we did have our passports of course) which proved to be satisfactory. If you buy them on the day (we did this catching the train from Boston to Portland a few years ago) you will need picture ID before they sell you a ticket (we - well the other half did - had to sprint back to the hotel that day).

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New York In August

1. wear what you wear when its hot in the UK - can't hurt to bring a sweater

2. check the review on this forum concerning your hotel

3. NYFD Firestore

17 Greenwich Avenue

(between Christopher St. & West 10th St./just West of 8th St. & 6th Ave.)

New York, NY 10014

4. the SUBWAY runs 365 - 24/7 check mta.com for schedules - Sunday service is not limited

5. AMTRAK tickets are readily available when you wish to travel - no need to purchase in advance check their website www.amtrak.com

Check the FAQ's for more information there is a lot of information on this site - a little research will provide tons of good travel tips....

Poppa

NYC
Level Contributor
911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York In August

1) Yes, it will be hot in August. I don't think I'd wear jeans -- too hot and heavy! Also, absolutely bring a light cardigan. It'll be air-conditioned in most places so, while you won't want it while outdoors, you probably will want it inside.

2) I recently investigated the Tudor Hotel (I have to book hotels for employees who come to our office from outside NYC); according to TA, it seemed to have a decent rating and feedback. It's a good location.

3) I don't know about the FDNY store. Sorry.

4) The subway (we don't call it the metro) runs on Sundays. It's not necessarily limited service (on most lines) but you'd definitely have to check out the MTA website (http://mta.info/mta/advisories.htm) and look at the notices posted in the stations during the weeek: maintenance and repair work is done on the weekends (because the service runs 24/7/365) and so there are lots of service changes and diversions and it can get quite confusing if you don't pay attention.

5) Re Amtrak: Although I'm not from the UK, I will tell you that you can buy them online and I think it works out well to do so.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
235 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York In August

thanks to everyone!! i guess i'm a little nervous about travelling there!! xx

5. Re: New York In August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 04:17