We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

IRELAND
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

Hello

My son is staying with a friend in Rhode Island at the moment and I've just heard he and his friend are going to NYC this weekend.

I was wondering if the youth hostels are good to stay in and which ones are the best. Hopefully his American friend will know somewhere safe to stay!

Thanks in advance for help.

Fiona

IRELAND
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

Still seeking help on this

Thanks

Fiona

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

Hi

I don't know anything about youth hostels but if you type it in the search box at the top right of the page there are some previous topics about this. Hope this is of some help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

The YMCA Vanderbilt and YMCA Westside both get pretty decent reviews here and are centrally located. I think a private room for 2 with shared bath was quoted at $75/night. The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca is about $130/night. Hostelz.com is a website that lists and rates the various hostels. Hope that helps. You might also do as previous poster suggests and do a text search here for hostels on this forum. ;)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

If they don't mind sharing a bathroom just outside the room, I'd suggest the "Second Home on Second Avenue". I've stayed there and it's perfect for me. The rooms are nice, it's clean, in a funky area close to a bunch of cheapr restaurants and bars, the host is great, and the rooms are cheap. The subway is just a block away and Union Square is a couple of blocks. Read the hotel reviews on this site. I'm staying in the Skylight room in August for 7 nights and I'm paying 105 per night all taxes in. You can't beat that in Manahattan for a room as nice as this.

http://secondhomesecondavenue.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
333 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

I live down the street from the Chelsea International Hostel. It seems to always be filled with many people, young and old. It's across the street from the police station, so it should be safe.

IRELAND
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Youth Hostels or cheap hotels in NYC

Thanks very much everyone for your replies; they are very helpful. I will pass this info on to my son.

Thanks and best wishes

Fiona