We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brooklyn bridge

perth
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
brooklyn bridge

i was just wanting to know how the best way to get to the brookyln bridge is and which side would be best to start on and the total distance it is to walk? also how safe is the area to be around dark fall or night?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: brooklyn bridge

Kodi12, it depends very much on when you're going. In the summer months you can get the Water Taxi from South Street Seaport which is a lovely way to go. At other times, take the subway but which one depends on where you're starting from. I like to go to Clark Street and walk along one of the streets running parallel with the river front (Hicks Street or Willow are good ones). You will see a fine collection of traditional brownstones (complete with stoops) and when you get to Pierrepont, turn right and walk between the trees to get the best free view in New York - lower Manhattan from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

From there you can either walk one block south then turn up Montague Street to find something to eat or head north following the promenade until you find yourself at Old Fulton Street and Grimaldis where you can grab a pizza. From here, walk up the road following the line of the bridge and you'll find steps going up from, I think, Prospect Street - these take you up to the walkway on the bridge and start you off on the Brooklyn Side which is the best end to walk from.

Total distance is approximately 1 mile and will take anything from 20 to 40 minutes depending on how many times you stop to take photos.

Sunset is the best time to walk the bridge but that area is safe at night (take the precautions you would in any big city).

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: brooklyn bridge

The more interesting views are found when walking towards Manhattan.

Directions to the Bridge entrances can be found here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k866178-…

The total length from end to end is slightly over one mile; how long would it take you to walk one mile while stopping occasionally for pictures?

The bridge has police assigned to it 24 hours a day, and it runs from a very upscale neighborhood in Brooklyn to City Hall and Police Headquarters in Manhattan. You are thus probably safer on the Brooklyn Bridge than you are at home in bed.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: brooklyn bridge

I would definitely advise to take a look at GWB's directions to walking the Brooklyn Bridge. I printed them off and took them with us and they proved extremely useful.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: brooklyn bridge

Thanks for the info--a Brooklyn Bridge walk appeals to my family also.

Can anyone tell me off-hand what a water-taxi costs? Is it 2 dollars or 8 dollars or what?

Thanks,

dgw9

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: brooklyn bridge

The water taxi from South St. Seaport to Brooklyn was $7, at least it was a couple weeks ago!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: brooklyn bridge

If you do use the water taxi, the directions to follow are those from "Fulton Landing". You might also read Walt Whitman's great poem "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry."

http://www.bartleby.com/142/86.html

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: brooklyn bridge

I have read the excellent GreenWhiteBlue guide and MaidstoneNic's information on walking the Brooklyn Bridge. I think we'll take the subway to Clark Street and head back to the bridge. Thanks for the information, gentlemen--I don't know where else I could have found this clear and concise information.

8. Re: brooklyn bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 02:16