We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coney Island amusements

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Coney Island amusements

Are the fairgrounds (astroland) at coney island likely to be open in november?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coney Island amusements

Nope: http://www.astroland.com/events.html

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Coney Island amusements

Hey Crans you beat me once again ...... http://www.coneyisland.com/tourism.shtml

Coney Island closes in late September. Personally I'm not falling for the sudden hype over Coney Island. It served a purpose in a certain time and place but is now a living dinosaur just delaying extinction. The reason it fell on hard time (like Asbury Park I imagine) is that it is no longer viable and relevant in the computer/internet/video/Ipod/ age. I bet people lamented the end of the horse drawn carriage and the end of silent movies. If Coney island wasn't currently threatened with extinction ..... no one would be making the trek out to seedy Coney Island or even care. And as the song goes ......

I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two

Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.

If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.

Oh-a oh

They took the credit for your second symphony.

Rewritten by machine and new technology,

and now I understand the problems you can see.

Oh-a oh

I met your children

Oh-a oh

What did you tell them?

Video killed the radio star.

Pictures came and broke your heart.

Oh-a-a-a oh

And now we meet in an abandoned studio.

We hear the playback and it seems so long ago.

And you remember the jingles used to go.

Oh-a oh

You were the first one.

Oh-a oh

You were the last one.

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far

Oh-a-aho oh,

Oh-a-aho oh

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far.

Pictures came and broke your heart, put the blame on VTR.

You are a radio star.

You are a radio star.

Video killed the radio star. (You are a radio star.)

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coney Island amusements

"If Coney island wasn't currently threatened with extinction ..... no one would be making the trek out to seedy Coney Island or even care. And as the song goes ......"

Lotus - With All due *respect*, I love coney island, specifically because it is seedy. I moved to Brooklyn just so I could go there more than once a year. Actually headed down there tomorrow. OKAY, technically I'm going to Brighton Beach, but I may not be able to resist shooting the freak, or watching the sun go down while sipping a cold one and listening to Ray Charles sing "America" on the Juke Box at Cha-Cha's.

And if I don't do that tomorrow, the Mermaid Parade's just 10 days away!

You won't catch me going in the water there, however. That's nasty.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Coney Island amusements

Spent my whole life in Brooklyn and the only times I ever went to Coney Island (not Brighton Beach) was back in the Boy Scouts. The place is down right depressing during the day when it's mostly deserted and they're running the carosel or ferris wheel for like one kid or something. But I guess if you're not from Brooklyn then it might seem 'glamorous' or 'edgy'. But I don't miss Coney Island ..... like I don't miss chicken pokes either.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coney Island amusements

I have nothing useful to contribute but I'd just like to thank Lotuspath for posting my favourite song of all time.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coney Island amusements

At the risk of getting all "meta", to me this thread is TA at it's best. The OP's question was answered, we had some "context" and now Ange gets to read her favorite lyrics.

I guess there will be some people who consider this a waste of valuable screenspace, and an affront to the "purpose" of the forum ...But those people will probably wish that the commentators on tonight's NBA finals would stick to the play-by-play, and skip all the clique-ish insider references: "Larry Bird this" or "Jack Nicholson that" or "Kareem Abdul Blah,Blah,Blah"...

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coney Island amusements

Well I enjoyed the day we spent in Coney Island, walking along the boardwalk from Brighton Beach and drinking beers in the sun people watching. It reminded me of my childhood (without the beers of course) spent in places like Porthcawl and Barry Island in South Wales, plus P won me a cuddly Elmo and I got to ride the Cyclone.

I'm just disappointed I didn't get around to shooting the freak, but I did enjoy Cha Chas partularly liked the fact that the toilet stalls had curtains and not doors and a sign saying "knock before you enter" :-)

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coney Island amusements

"The place is down right depressing during the day when it's mostly deserted and they're running the carosel or ferris wheel for like one kid or something."

I guess I'm that "one" kid or something, lol. : ))) I happen to love it too and hope it's amusement park history is respected & spruced up for future generations (vs. building more hi-rise condos & chain stores). I do know that the carousell has been shipped out to Ohio for refurbishment & will hopefully be reinstalled into a new pavillion near the parachute jump when ready.

November is not the prime time to see it though...rides closed, not so much going on - a bit gray (don't mind me...I'll be there then too, 'cause the light looks good on film).

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coney Island amusements

For the right person, Coney Island in November could be a great trip. It certainly won't be what most people think of as Coney Island, though, and the typical tourist attractions will not be open, like everyone has said.

Beyond that, I really want to say that Coney Island's seediness is a big part of the charm for most people who are fond of the place. Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If anyone wants to see Coney Island become a Disneyland-type theme park, raise your hand and plead your case- I can't even imagine the reasoning behind that.

I grew up in a part of the Pacific Northwest fortunate enough to have a similarly seedy coastal town, and people there have a similarly defensive feeling about commercial development there. So what if some people think the place is dirty or weird? That's what the place is, it's what it has been, and there's obviously room for that in the future. If someone can't personally appreciate that sort of quality in a neighborhood, they're probably just better off avoiding it altogether.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coney Island amusements

"The reason it fell on hard time (like Asbury Park I imagine) is that it is no longer viable and relevant in the computer/internet/video/Ipod/ age."

Also, I'd just like to add that basing a neighborhood or destination's validity based upon its relevance in the "Ipod age" is so profoundly sad that I don't even know what to say- I just wanted to point it out.