We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The cheapest way to send a parcel

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
The cheapest way to send a parcel

Home to the UK? UPS, Fedex or USPS or other?? I'm getting a price of around $48 for a 5 kilo parcel.....is that about as good as it gets?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
146 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

I believe that US Postal would be the cheapest.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

thanks - unfortunately what I save in buying the item I'd spend in the postage to get it home.....dont think it'd fit in my suitcase!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

price it out at www.usps.com and www.fedex.com and ups.com

convert your 5 kilo to pounds/ounces

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

If you go to one of the UPS stores, they should give you a quote for both the USPS and UPS. I think USPS contracts a lot of their domestic package deliveries to either UPS or FedEx. Not sure for international. Most of my packages are cheaper on UPS than USPS.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,660 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

5 kilo is 11 pounds. 2.2 pounds per kilo.

Here's USPS info:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/welcome.htm

I found that trying to figure something out. We mail in a large stiff envelope and/or a box about 2" deep and anything that fits in there is a set price. But that may be just for domestic. I was trying to find the info to be more helpful. Our PO just directs me when I go in there. You might ask them about that all-you-can-stuff-in-there package.

It won't help it it's a large item though.

Is it just one item? Can you play with sending what you have in parts?

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

Hi - thanks for your help - it's a few items for my baby that are basically the same price in dollars as they are here in pounds. I have realised that according to the airlines website we can take 2 suitcase each of 22 kilos each! There's no way we take that much clothes and things so am thinking we may get it in the suitcase after all.....it's not majorily important, if we cant get it home for a reasonable price then we'll just buy the stuff here.

Thanks again

Dublin
Level Contributor
803 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

Ltg, just a word of caution, I bought some clothing on line in the states and had to pay TAX on it on arrival to the delivery person, just beware!

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

Thanks 1888 - I'm thinking suitcase is poss the way to go....site says item actually only weighs 4kg so if that's the case it wont be so bad.....will see how heavy what we have to take out is first and then decide :)

9. Re: The cheapest way to send a parcel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 15:21