We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

Belfast
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

HI there !

I am coming over with my family - kids 13 and 15 -on 7th July for 2 weeks.

We are staying in NYC for about 4 days - and looking to go upstate for a week of outdoor pursuits ( and relaxation for me !! )

My only trouble is that I am not soo sure where to go. Lots of friends ( Brits who have also visited the area ) had suggested Cape Cod - BUT I feel that at this time of year it will be very busy and very expensive ( correct ? )

I was thinking more along the lines of staying by a Lake - beit the FInger lakes, Lake George or Lake PLacid ...

I am hoping for some insight please and some suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

The lakes are beautiful (I especially like Placid as well as Saranac...Lake George is very "busy") but you must have a car up there to get around.....so you might as well drive up from nYc since transport is not very good up there anyway(you can fly but it is very pricey and trains go near but you would still need a car to get there and get to see it all) It will not be cheap since this is major vacation time for all of us but probably less money than the Cape.....you could also consider going to the Rhode Island and Connecticut shore....would give you the beach but for less $$ than the Cape.....you should be reserving NOW!

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

Lake George would be the cheapest. And I mean that in terms of money and ambiance.

Lake Placid is great, but can be expensive. There are some places up there that are more reasonable, but you have look around.

I wonder if people can't give you a place closer to NYC.

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

Upstate New York is gorgeous and having traveled many of its smaller roads by car a few summers back, the roads, even off the beaten path are in really great shape. Between TA and the two sites below you will have many options -- perhaps too many. One thought: Ithaca NY, I think they call it the City of Gorges, these are spectacular gorges brimming with smashing water, there are two world-class colleges in town, Cornell and Ithaca, and lots of outdoor services and things to do. In college towns, the hotel prices drop in the summer.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/

http://www.iloveny.com/

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,490 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

Several years ago we spent a couple of days just relaxing and exploring the area around Mirror Lake which is next to Lake Placid but which struck me as less crowded. We stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn which we have always talked about going back to.

Pjk

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

If you go to Lake Placid, you can also visit the Olympic venues, museum, ski jump etc. There is great biking there and lot of cute shops. You may be able to rent a condo for less than a hotel and get more space and the ability to save $$ by eating in.

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Destination Expert
for Callicoon, Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

Saratoga Lake & the Town of Saratoga is a great place to visit. The town of Saratoga host the countrys oldest horse racing track, mineral springs, bath houses & it is a very nice town.

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Destination Expert
for Callicoon, Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

It also hosts the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (Dave Matthews band is playing this weekend) Also the summer home of the NYC Ballet, NYC Opera Company, Philadelphia Symphony. It is also rated in the top 10 safest & cleanest cities in the country

TRUST ME, This is the place to go!!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

You are less than a month off and your date is right in the highest summer period as all the kids will be out of school. I would suggest making a decision ASAP and getting reservations as time is short and the best places may already be gone.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

I'd forget going to the Cape from NYC if I were you. The trip is long and boring and the Cape is very expensive this time of year. (gorgeous but expensive. and crowded).

Have you considered Mohonk Mountain House? It's lovely, not too far from NYC, (expensive), has kids' programs and is a "grand hotel" experience. Modified meal plan, I think. but check here:

www.mohonk.com

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions please - which lakeside retreat - from NYC ?

If you consider Saratoga Springs, I recommend renting a home/townhome in the neighborhood shown here:

www.saratogalakelodging.com/default.asp

(this particular townhome is sold out for summer, but there are others available from real estate agents.)

It is called "Water's Edge" and has a beach, indoor and outdoor pool, indoor and outdoor tennis, and is very convenient to downtown.

The NYC Ballet is at SPAC during the timeframe of your visit.

Also, Lake George is about a 30 minute drive.

You could also consider Lake Luzerne, or the Sacandaga Lake. HTH.