We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear?

Baton Rouge
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to wear?

I have heard that you should not wear open toe shoes (flip flops, sandals, et). Is this true? Should I stick to my tennis shoes for the entire trip?

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear?

"Should not wear" meaning what? For comfort?? Or have you been told there are "open toe shoe police" in NYC?? If that were the case, half the women I saw coming to work today (and a large number of men too) are in big trouble! Wear what you are comfortable wearing...

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear?

young women here seem to only wear flip flops from May until October; other women wear all kinds of sandals all the time......when you are walking on the concrete, it helps to have a padded inner sole and rubbery bottoms but when it is hot, it is definitely a fine idea to have your toes out and breathing....frankly, tourists seem to wear sneakers a lot more than New Yorkers

Baton Rouge
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear?

The "should not" was more of a comfort issue....or that your feet would become really dirty after walking around the city for a good while.

Thanks for the info!

Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear?

We are visiting New York for the first time next week. I'm wearing my flip-flops, whereas my husband is determined to wear his tennis shoes.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear?

I wore a pair of Reef flipflops all over NYC in May. They are reasonably substantial though with a thick sole and that "bounce" effect stuff built in and my feet were great. A week wearing sneakers back in November and I'm still waiting for the bruise on my big toe nail to grow out and suffered for days on my return home. Yes my feet were a little dirty at the end of each day but nothing a soak in hot soapy water didn't sort out :-)

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear?

I wore flip flops during a couple of days of my visit last week (twenty-something female) and yes, my feet did get dirty. Didn't bother me much though, you can always wash them!

I would say, although flip flops are good on the breathability factor, they aren't very cushioning - my feet took a real pounding from all the walking, mainly in ballet pumps and flip flops.

I'm not a sneakers or walking shoe kind of girl but i may review that for my next visit!

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear?

you NEVER walk at home as much as you do in NYC....so it is hard to guess which shoes will be best......I think tennis shoes are hot, I always wear open toe shoe/sandals at home and they are always fine in NYC too....your feet do get dirty, but you'll be showering too!!!! I bring two or three pairs (OK...maybe more...)of sandals (Clarks, etc) that are comfortable at home, you can switch if they start to bother you. PS....I bought Crocs because of a reco here....hated them!!!!! they were ugly and uncomfortable!! IMO!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear?

I would wear whatever shoe is most comfortable for you, regardless of what type of shoe they are. Trust me, after you've walked around NYC for awhile, you could care less whether you are in style or whether you are committing some kind of fashion faux pas - you just want your feet to stop hurting!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear?

We just got back from NYC - I never wear gym shoes unless at the gym. I bought a couple pairs of sandals from Indigio (a division of Clarks) - cute, not momsy sandals with really comfortable soles. My legs were sore from walking on the street ( I usually run on a treadmill), but my feet felt fine. Just soak your feet in a hot, soapy bath with pumice stone in the evening. You'll be fine.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear?

Wear whatever is most comfortable for walking on concrete through the day. If you are heading out for a nice dinner or show, spiffing it up a bit with nice sandals, etc., is a a good idea. We all have toes, showing them occasionally when the weather supports is just part of being alive.

If your concern is health or safety, I've worn sandals all day and open toed shoes in the evening for many years without health consequences.