We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian in Brooklyn; near pedestrian approach to bridge

Houston
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Italian in Brooklyn; near pedestrian approach to bridge

When we visit Manhattan, we want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for a look at the skyline. Had originally planned to eat lunch at Grimaldi's on Old Fulton, but it is getting rather bad reviews now (Chowhound). Can anyone suggest a really good alternative (Italian/pizza) near the bridge?

THANKS, Ya'll!

indianapolis
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian in Brooklyn; near pedestrian approach to bridge

maybe Bamontes, lots of history. I was told to take a cab from the bridge area. Read the post and do a google search for Bamontes if interested.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian in Brooklyn; near pedestrian approach to bridge

Queen is a good Italian restaurant not too far from there:

http://www.queenrestaurant.com/index.html

That said, I'm not sure how worried I would be about Chowhound reviews. Without getting into a discussion about the dynamics of internet food culture in New York, I'll just say that a lot of the negativity about Grimaldi's (and John's and Lombardi's) on Chowhound comes from resentment generated by seeing a long-beloved pizza place turn into a tourist attraction. (Hence all of the "it used to be so much better" remarks.) If you want pizza near the bridge, it's far and away the best option.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian in Brooklyn; near pedestrian approach to bridge

Thank you Crans. Will probably stick to Grimaldi's then. I'll see how it compares to the pizza we had at Lombardi's, last time. (I thought the Lombardi's pizza needed more sauce, but over all, it was very good pizza.)

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian in Brooklyn; near pedestrian approach to bridge

Was at Grimaldi's last week - IMHO the pizze haven't changed in the two years since I was there last - still the best!!

5. Re: Italian in Brooklyn; near pedestrian approach to bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 14:19