We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

footware????

ukswift88
Level Contributor
506 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
footware????

My girlfriend and I are visiting NYC for 7 days early July.... were unsure what footware we should have for the day

We would usually wear sandals but not sure if this would look out of sorts or inpractical

anyone help?

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: footware????

I would always wear sandals in July but make sure that whatever you choose is very comfy and worn in. Bring a change too , your feet will thank you for it.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: footware????

>>would look out of sorts or impractical<<

NYC is a walking City - don't worry if your sandals would look out of sorts, with a million or more people in Manhattan, no one will be looking at your shoes anywway, as for impractical - if they do not have any arch supports, YES.

Good walking shoes are a must, some sandals do have arch supports and are better for walking....so no worries about fashion, no shoe police here, wear what will be comfortable walking in all day...........

Poppa

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: footware????

As Daisee says the trick is to take 2 pairs of walking shoes and alternate them and your feet will suffer far less. Sandals will be fine.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: footware????

I ditto the alternating shoes! When I was there in August, I wore my flip flops one day, and they killed my feet. I thought this was odd as I can wear them all day here, and they never bother me. It's just so much walking I now stick with sneakers. Also, don't worry how you look. People there walk a ton! So you'll see people really dressed up walking to work in sneakers. People really don't care what shoes you wear. :o)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: footware????

Yes, alternating is key! Even with the most comfortable shoes, its good to have a pair that rubs in different places.

I also wore a hole in the sole of the Geox shoes I wore daily for 10 days in Paris!

The only footwear that makes tourists look ridiculous is stilettos. Even my fashionable stiletto wearing French friends end up buying flats or (non white) sneakers here.

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
979 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: footware????

Hi ukswift88!

I usually have a couple of pairs of trainers with good absorbent sox, but you will be there in the July heat. I would probably choose those trekking sandals, the rather unflattering velcro-strapped things. They can be adjusted as your feet swell over the day and the air is able to circulate through your tootsies!

M

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: footware????

...and don't forget a 5-10 minute foot soak each night does absolute wonders for your soul (and soles) regardless of the shoes you're wearing. :)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: footware????

Also, if you use the gel inserts, it's like having a new pair of shoes. You can get them at any pharmacy here.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: footware????

All over downtown Manhattan you will see little hole-in-the-wall shops offering foot rubs or back rubs for relatively little money. Some posters here have taken advantage of these after a hard day's sightseeing, and have found them to be lifesavers.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: footware????

We walked over 24 miles in 2 days. I was glad I brought my sneakers. There are lots of people walking and you will just be glad to be comfortable!!