We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting New York for first time

Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting New York for first time

Hello, a group of us is visiting New York from Australia in January (leaving 40 degree summer to head there!!) and there are 6 of us, just a few queries in how to get form JFK to Pennisv Hotel, Limo?, cab?

Also wondering in terms of shopping in regards to guys gear, clothes, any bargain areas besides Century 21. We are keen to visit but have 6 days so we are open for suggstions. How hard also is it to get David Letterman and Saturday night live tickets?

We are a group of young guys and girls so we are open for suggestions as to what we can do at night etc?

if you can help id appreciate it

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting New York for first time

Well for starters you should know that NY locals think the hotel Pennsylvania is not very good. Is that the one you mean? Can you change it?

As to transport, if you do stay there, your best option is to get a stretch limo from Crown limo. It will cost just a bit more than if all of you take public transportation. Their website is 1800mycrown.com It should cost about $75.

The hotel is right across from Penn Station so you could also take the train or a shuttle bus which stops at Penn Station, but either of those cost about $10-12/person and for 6, you might as well do the limo.

For shopping, Macy's the department store is right near there and offers foreign visitors an 11% discount if you register at their customer service desk (you get a discount card). They have a huge selection of all the major brand names. H & M is another good option for trendy, inexpensive clothing. There are several locations, one right near Macy's. Old Navy is another good shop for casual clothes that also has a store in that area. All these stores have both men and women's clothes.

Some other discount places besides Century 21 are Daffy's and Loehmann's (also both men & women). If you're looking for suits, sports jackets etc., I also have had luck at Men's Warehouse on Madison Ave. & about 44 st.

Warehouse W in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (a subway ride away and the latest young, trendy area) is supposed to be good. Read about it here where you'll also see listings for other discount shopping

newyorkmetro.com/urban/…outlets.htm

I've also heard that Big Mix Outlet on the upper westside (2186 Broadway, nr. 77th St.; 212-874-2518) gets good designer stuff and discounts it.

It's not that hard to get Letterman tickets. If you put Letterman tickets in the search box above, you'll find a number of previous posts where people describe what they've done. The usual way is writing months in advance, but there are other options. Sat. Night Live is mroe difficult. Read here

…about.com/od/tvtapings/p/snl_tickets.htm

I think you will need to get standby tickets but make sure they're taping a new episode while you're here. Many shows are in rerun in Jan. I think.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting New York for first time

For nightlife, look at nymetro.com/nightlife

I hope you're all over 21 as that's our drinking age. ;)

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
910 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting New York for first time

I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania last year for a business meeting in the hotel and was not that impressed. My understanding is that when they have the dog show across the street at MSG, they use the Hotel Pennsylvania and the dogs stay in the rooms with the guests.

I would not go back to the hotel.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting New York for first time

KevinNeuk said it was ok and seemed a bit annoyed that we had said it was awful.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting New York for first time

Supporting the post from NYWhiz (who clearly knows the best ways to see the city) and adding extra caution regarding the Pennsylvania Hotel. I think you can match the price and have a better first impression of this wonderful city by staying elsewhere. Try the Upper West Side or ask for more input on this forum.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting New York for first time

I've never stayed at the Pennsylvania, but my 13-year-old nephew did last March during a class trip. He said it was a dump.

This from someone who hasn't seen the floor of his own bedroom since I don't know when. I would seriously consider looking for another hotel.

It might already be booked for most of January, but check out if anything is available at the Belvedere. It's a wonderful hotel on the edge of the theater district, reasonably-priced for New York, clean and very well-run.

ues, new york city
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting New York for first time

i second the belvedere... ive never stayed there but they have such a good rep on this site!... heh, when I was a little kid and used to walk to midtown I used to think the hotel pennsylvania was really nice, becuase it has a stately limestone fascia, and look nice outside, but you cant judge a book by its cover ;) (ok, a little cliche)

Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting New York for first time

Hey thanks for that guys, my agent said that while it was the best hotel you couldnt beat the area for easy access to places in New York. I checked out the hotels website and i reckon that the photographer should get an award for the airbrushing on the pictures of the rooms if all accounts are right, looks good but like it was said you can judge just on pictures.

thanks for all your advice with Hotel, will try to source others. PLease feel free to suggest 'must visits' for us in January, is it worth leaving New York and heading out of Manhatten, New Jersey etc? or is everyting basically on the Island and with no need to go outside?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
302 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting New York for first time

About the Pennsylvania---the location is convenient for Madison Sqaure Garden, Macy's, Penn Station, the Garment District. But there are a number of other hotels in that area that are in better condition. I visit NYC every year, and I have stayed at the Sheraton Towers and Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square. The Doubletree is an excellent choice if you want plenty of space--separate bedroom, living room with TV, additional TV in the bedroom, large bathroom, microwave, small refrigerator, high speed internet, valet parking, and it's right in the center of Times Square. I think the tickets to Letterman and SNL have to be ordered well ahead. SNL tends to be audience by invitation only with many NBC employees getting 1st choice. The NBC Studios Tour is very good and it's in Rockefeller Center. Fifth Avenue has lots of shopping, but not bargains. Bloomingdale's in the Upper East Side is a one-of-a-kind shopping experience too. Be sure to visit Greenwich Village and Soho. The best pizza I have ever eaten is from a place called John's Pizza on Bleeker Street in Greenwich Village. The downtown business district (Wall Street) is also worth seeing. Have a wonderful trip. NYC is my favorite city in the world!