We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glamorous Hotel...with children???

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Glamorous Hotel...with children???

Hello

I am making my first trip to New York next June,(3rd to 6th)...I know it's a long way off but I love to plan.

I would like to stay in a lovely hotel that is child friendly.

We aren't going to be there for long,it is a stop off on the way back from LA).We will get there at 5pmish on Wednesday and stay until Saturday afternoon.

I want to be somewhere central,we plan to go on the Staten Island Ferry,up TOTR,American Girl,FAO Schwartz and Central Park-Maybe soho/Greenwich village.

I want pizza,brunch,afternoon tea,cocktails, a diner..

not asking for much!!

Anyway first things first..

Suggestions please for a hotel $400ish dollars a night.

Look forward to hearing from you

xxxx

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

Hi and welcome!

Have you checked the Sticky at the top of the questions listings? This will give you some basic information on how to use the Forum.

>>Sticky: Read this first: Welcome to the New York City forum!<<

Now as to your questions - you pretty much want someone to plan your trip. Well, I suggest you do some more research on NYC and check out what is available in your price range, any hotel in NYC I would consider central owing to the great transportation system.

This Forum has special sections on hotels, sights, restaurants - peruse some of these, they are to the left of the replies.

When you have some places in mind, come back with specific questions.

Hope you have fun in your researchg and planning.

Poppa

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

The Waldorf Astoria is in a good location. Fine with kids. It is constantly undergoing renovations, but if you get a renovated room, they are quite nice. If you get a suite (I stayed in one at a greatly reduced rate), you'll be amazed at the size of the room/suite. The bathroom has a huge sitting area (the size of some small hotel rooms).

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

Well we are going in november with our 2 children (6 and 2) and have chosen the New York Palace. Ok so it may not seem the most child friendly hotel but we may never go to NY again so wanted to make sure we picked a nice one. It's location for us seemed really good. Near TOTR, Saks & not far from FAO Schwartz & Central Park (as far as I can make out) and it's ranking on here did it for me.

Might be worth a look ?

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

One other thing: I'm not really sure what you mean by child friendly. Most hotels, I find, are relatively indifferent to your child's being there. The staff isn't going to be nasty or rude because you bring your children to a high end hotel nor are they going to be extra friendly. I've stayed at very high end places and at lower end budget type places with my kids and in general have noticed no major difference - when it came to the kids.

The only exception (very minor) I can possibly think of, is when I went to Montreal and stayed at the Hilton. We stayed on the club floor, and they gave my kids a free backpack, which was nice, but that was it.

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

Thanks for your suggestions,I have read about 500 reviews on here and can assure you I am doing my research!!

i have looked at the New York Palace,it looks like it's in a great location.I want somewhere really central as we will do a lot of walking.

I am also considering the Omni Berkshire and The Parker Meridian-any opinions??

In regards to the "child friendly"thing-I know what you mean.It's just DD always asks me "Is it child friendly!!"-she just wants milk and cookies or a sticker ( we are easily pleased by freebies!)

From what I have seen so far,it is probably I will probably get better rates nearer the time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

Seems to me that the main "family friendly" characteristic that a hotel in NYC can offer is enough space in the room so that the family isn't overly cramped. Many hotels will be able to provide adequate space, but many will not. Read some reviews -- you'll soon see which hotels have larger rooms.

When you make your hotel reservation, you might want to ask about different room types or categories, as some hotels (the Waldorf, for example) will have a range of sizes available.

A pool might be another item that your kids will like, but many NYC hotels do not have them. If this is important to you, your choice will be limited.

Your comment about cookies reminds me that Doubletree Hotels are known for the chocolate chip cookies that they give their guests. The Doubletree Suites in Times Square might be a good candidate for you, though the location can be a bit overwhelming.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

Most children would love a rooftop pool. Would yours?

Then there is the Parker Le Meridian with all its quality brunch,teas, pizzas, hamburgers, as well as posh dining directly adjacent to the lobby. Walking distance to

Central Park, Schwartz's, and TOTR.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

I will say that the Parker Meridien is decidedly not glamorous. It's a fine, basic hotel- elegant it is not.

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

The cookies sound great but not for $600 a night!

I would want Ritz Carlton for that!!

I really like the look of the Parker Meridian but want a bit of wow factor.

Not asking for much am I?!!

Thanks for all your help,this is a great,busy forum

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Glamorous Hotel...with children???

Exactly what "WOW" factor would you fancy?

Cookies and a sticker? What's up with that - why pay high prices for "freebies" when you could get a decent hotel, buy the cookies and stickers elsewhere and give them to the child at her request and have more money for sightseeing, dinner, the theater etc....?

This is a bit confusing to me.