We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel incidentals

Kent
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
hotel incidentals

Hi everyone

We are visiting New York in September for 7 nights staying at the Travel Inn hotel which we have booked and paid for through a tour operator and have just noticed that the hotel ask for your credit card at check in for any incidentals, this is a problem as neither of us have a credit card, we have debit cards but if they put a hold on a set amount as I have read often happens it will mess up our spending money. I have read that they accept a cash deposit but again depending on how much, it would tie up a lot of our spending money, we dont plan to run up any charges, they dont have mini bars, we wont be using the phone in the room etc, as we have already paid for the room would we have to provide a deposit and if so would it be much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel incidentals

>>we dont plan to run up any charges<<

That's great, but to the hotel you are a stranger so your word means nothing.

>>I have read that they accept a cash deposit<< >>would we have to provide a deposit and if so would it be much?<<

Have you asked the hotel? It is their policy, so the correct answer will come from them.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel incidentals

Agree with Mez, but you do have another option. Get a credit card! This is the 21st Century. If you intend on traveling, not having a credit card is a huge pain. It also means you'll never be able to rent a car. You don't have to use it at home, but you will be better using a credit card when you travel. Many folks from the UK like the Nationwide Flex Account and you should be able to open one and get a card between now and Sept.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k863576-…

If, for whatever reason you don't do this, contact the hotel and ask how much cash they'd require for a deposit. It's usually so much per day.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel incidentals

An idea is to purchase a pre-paid card, because the majority of hotels use the CC only to put on file and not to actually charge anything, so they wouldn't know the difference anyway. Another idea is to offer to put a security of $500+ down to cover any charges, however if their policy is CC only, then it's CC only...plus, who doesn't have a CC these days? jk.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel incidentals

Hi,

My sister and I went to New York in February, neither of us had a credit card. Although it's the 21st centuray, not everyone can get a credit card! Anyway, we paid $200 deposit between the 2 of us. That was ok though, as we got this back when we checked out. Still had stuff to do that afternoon and used the money for that and duty free. I didn't find it a problem, though you should find out how much deposit they require.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel incidentals

you should also see if you could give them a signed blank check...b/c i'm assuming u at least have a checking account.

Kent
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel incidentals

Thanks for your replies,

I do intend to phone the hotel I only asked on here as I thought someone may have had this problem or stayed at this hotel and could tell me what they did. Not every one does have a credit card, obviously as I dont, I have never needed one until now I have always managed with a debit card but I will take your advice and apply for one with, as recomended Nationwide Thanks again D

Kent
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel incidentals

Christinemacca

just read your reply thanks for your info and I totally agree about not everyone being able to get a credit card but why do people make you feel stupid if you havent got one, I never wanted one and dont know if i will be able to get one but it looked like i would have to try, but if cash worked ok for you i could do that. If you dont mind me asking how long was your stay and at which hotel Thanks again D

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel incidentals

hi,

I know, I've always managed without one too, but recently applied for one and got refused. I have no debts either.

I stayed at the Bentley hotel which was also prepaid. We stayed for 5 nights, and the deposit was $200. I this this is the standard deposit, no matter how long you were staying. I would email them if I were you to find out. On our last day, we did the boat trip and helicopter ride, and the deposit we got back went towards that. So I didn't really worry to much about paying this as knew I would be using it. Hopefully will work out for you in a similar way.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel incidentals

It was not my intention to make you feel stupid. Many posters say they don't have a credit card b/c they "don't want or need one"- can manage fine without one since they have a debit card etc. and I assumed that was the case with you. I was just trying to suggest that this is a case where you would be better with one. If you do get refused, I'd ask for the reasons and ask what you can do to correct them for the future. ;)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel incidentals

I don't mean this stereotypically, but it must be an English thing. Idk any American who uses Trip Advisor who could get through the day w/o a CC, let alone a vacation...i think that is why we're all like WTF?!?!? u don't have a CC?