We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

First part

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k20862…

Second part

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k20862…

Tuesday 24th June

Feeling much more on form appetite wise I felt a Big Daddy’s fix coming on and as we had a list of things to get our children, we headed off to Union Sq. Fortified by Eggs 101 and challah toast we hit the shops. The Strand was calling and that was one of the first points of call. We walked miles this day and ended up going for an early dinner on the way home to landmark in the Time Warner Building . It’s a nice place, there were a few families there at that time and we had a lovely steak. Couldn’t leave the building without a visit to Borders and saw the Neil Young photo montage. My husband is a huge Neil fan so he had to have a picture. I myself had a snap taken with the fat lady. Our feet are very similar at this point. Home on the 1 train exhausted.

Wednesday 25th June

We had plans to meet nywhiz for lunch today near Washington Sq Park so thought a stroll through Canal Street and Little Italy would be the job for the morning. It was very hot and as we were walking along Crosby Street we came across Housing Works bookshop/cafe. It seemed like an ideal place for a cold drink . Fabulous building but David’s disappointment at finding out that, on our arrival night Ron Sexsmith had appeared there, was oh so painful to see. If he’d known I would have rested up and he would have been like a pig in muck. Anyway, another great find for us, and a great cause that the company supports. After resting, we continued our walk up to Otto at 1 Fifth Ave where we had arranged to meet the Whiz.

Nice leisurely lunch ( I had the pizza of the day which was delicious) and then David left us to our own devices for the afternoon. Baby present hunting was in order as we were having dinner with Lou and Steve who were arriving later that afternoon. Did I mention it was hot? Phew, we walked for what seemed like miles around the Village but never found a suitable childrens toy shop. Eventually gave up and waited for a bus on the corner of 8th Ave and 14th St for what seemed like ages so hopped in taxi to ToysrUs. I am so pleased that my two were above the age when they’d be interested in this store on our first visit. If there is a hell, it’ll be like ToysrUs. The noise is deafening, but they did have the most brilliant gifts for young Master W so suitably armed we crossed the street to Carmines.

Now Carmines might be noisy too, but at least they serve Cosmos. Bettina was already at the bar ( where else?) and we joined her for a nice cool cocktail. When our table was ready Lou and Steve still hadn’t arrived (they had been delayed). Whiz couldn’t stay long so she missed the 3 of them by about 20 minutes if that. William arrived bright eyed, more than his Mum and Dad. That kid is incredible, the most placid baby I have ever known. He went to sleep in his buggy, we had dinner. Doesn’t get any better than that. When Lou’s eyes were being propped open by matchsticks we all left suitably full. David and I walked up to Columbus Circle for another trip to Borders and got a taxi outside due to me not being able to walk another step.

Thursday 26th June

Our last day. To match my mood it was drizzly and we had decided to go to Coney as David had never been. After breakfast we headed off and in 40 minutes we were there. Very warm but grey and overcast with sporadic rain. There were very few people about but it was nice to go along the boardwalk. Watched people on the Cyclone ( that thing looks so rickety) and the Wonder Wheel ( the way those cars move out of the inner wheel scares the bejeezus out of me)After a Nathans hot dog and fries sitting on a bench watching some kids playing volleyball, we got the subway back. Had a drink in Grand Central, visited Modells, and then came home to pack . Always the worst part.

We had no trouble getting a taxi on W81st and the journey took a little over an hour when we left around 5.30. It was a bit of a rollercoaster with the traffic stopping and starting but amazingly I didn’t embarrass myself by throwing up. The flight boarded on time, OK journey to London and then by 3pm the following day we were in our own home.

Even with my sore foot I had a fabulous trip. The more times I visit the more I find to do it seems. It’s my big 50 in January so guess what’s on my wish list?

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

anti aging cream??

a hot stud to make you feel younger??

I give up what's on your wish list ;)

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

Anti aging cream? You're for it Mrs! Notice I didn't dispute the second thing?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

We never did hear what David was doing while you and I were dragging around the village in the heat.

I will add while looking for the baby gift, we also popped into Meyer's of Keswick, purveyor of all things English. Daisiegee's comment was something on the order of "...I could make a fortune if I stuffed my bag with some of this from home." I think she said the biscuits that were selling for about $5 sell for 79p in the UK. Daisiegee ofcourse had a chat with the lad behind the counter about what else? The weather in England. ;)

http://www.myersofkeswick.com/main.asp

It was great to see you and stop complaining about your age, you young'un you.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

When I was in the Village with you Whiz, Davey got up to the Guggenheim and then walked down to Times Sg via Central Park, Bryant Park ( where he saw a good band apparently) and Rockefeller Center.

And what else do two English people speak about other than the weather ? ;-)

BTW, saw some poppadoms in town yesterday and thought of you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

What a wonderful report! What I liked most about it is all the time you spent catching up with TA friends...it's lovely to see that TA can foster such relationships. :)

Your jazz afternoon with Marjorie eliot sounds great...I've added it to the 'to-do' list.

Mez

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

Fab report. Although it seemed to go as fast as your trip!

Poppadoms?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
432 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

As a good Yorkshire girl I find it hard to pass up the chance to visit in the summer when hotel costs are (almost) reasonable, but just reading your account of the heat during your visit has left me feeling jaded. Hot pavements and a broken foot must have been a painful combination - they certainly breed 'em tough in the north-east!

I always enjoy your reports because they're full of good ideas about what to do once you've got the major sights out of the way. In fact, you're pretty much responsible for my dauntingly long list of unfinished business. The Sunday afternoon jazz at Marjorie Elliot's has been on it for some time, but you've made me all the more determined to make sure I get there on our next visit.

That makes two of us hoping for you-know-what early in the New Year!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

I was so happy to get to see you and spend time at Marjorie's, what a great way to spend a few hours in NYC - it is quite unique.

And don't worry, hitting to big 50 is not so bad, you look mahhhhvelous!!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

Wow, I'm impressed! Walking around New York is hard enough with 2 good feet. How did you do it? I enjoyed reading about your trip - you had a good time in spite of your little setback! And I think a trip for your 50th birthday sounds just perfect. (and your 51st, 52nd, etc....)

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report 20th June to 26th June Part 3

Do not know how you managed to do what you did with that foot, it certainly did not spoil your trip.

Get planning that 50th birthday bash in NY.

Hope the foot is back to normal soon.

Lou are you home?