We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

This is part 2 of our trip report during the June heatwave. On the Monday morning, we had a very lazy start to the day. We had seen on the news that this day was going to be the hottest – so we decided to go for a ride on “The Beast”. This is a great speedboat ride, where you can get extremely wet – just the job! The first ride out was 12 noon, so on we got … we were soon soaked, not just from the water coming over the side of the boat but from the antics of the crew member who patrolled up and down with a bucket of water and a super-soaker gun! This was such a fun ride – again, great for kids.

We got a bus down to Chelsea Market and had lunch in the coolness of this lovely building. Our plan was to have a walk round Greenwich Village, but after coming out of Chelsea Market the heat just hit us. Over the road was a thermometer alternating with the time – 99 degrees. On the corner of the road was a huge air-conditioned Apple Store, a great way to cool down, even if we weren’t buying anything! Our walk around Greenwich Village turned into a languid stroll, but we did stop off at Perry Street just to see Carrie’s stop from S*x and the City. We ended up at Washington Square Park which is undergoing major work. We took a bus from here back up to RCA for a rest. In the evening we went to Top of the Rock for sunset views over the city. Now R has a real fear of heights and I wasn’t sure he would be able to enjoy this or even attempt to go to the top, but he took his chance. At the top, because there is glass all the way round, he didn’t feel too bad, and said afterwards that he wouldn’t have missed it for the world. After TOTR we went to Vynl on 9th between 50th and 51st. Good food, but I think we were all too tired and hot to take in the surroundings!

On Tuesday we got a bus all the way down to Little Italy and Chinatown. We had booked for the Lower East Side Tenement Museum online, so we went to pick up the tickets after coffee in Mulberry Street. It was another very hot day, so we strolled up to Rivington Street while we were waiting for our time slot, and visited Economy Candy.

The Tenement Museum was excellent. We went on the “Getting By” tour – our tour guide was fantastic, so sympathetic towards the family that lived in the tenement that we were shown. After our tour there was what they called “Kitchen Conversation” where we were offered refreshments, jugs of extremely cold water (very welcome) and cookies. The purpose of the Kitchen Conversation was to discuss with the help of a facilitator what we had seen with other people on the tour. We stayed and one other family stayed, but we had such a great interaction with them. R lived in a tenement in Edinburgh when he was a child and so was able to tell this family from Florida what it was like for him. We did stray off the subject sometimes, though, because we found each other’s way of life on opposite sides of the pond, so to speak, totally different. We spent an hour with them and could have stayed longer but we had to finish … Inside the Museum it was extremely hot but our tour guide had thoughtfully provided us with paddle fans. Again, this tour was one of the highlights of our trip.

We took the subway over to Brooklyn to have a late lunch at Grimaldi’s. After our pizza, we were walking back to the subway when we came across another Tom Otterness sculpture, a covered wagon. Even before we saw the information about it, we knew it was one of Mr Otterness’s because of the style.

I can’t remember what night it was, it might have been Tuesday, but there was the most spectacular storm. While we were out, the wind got up and Times Square looked like there was a tickertape parade going on!! Luckily enough, though, the storm cooled the weather down and the day we had planned in Central Park on the Wednesday was more bearable.

Central Park was lovely – we had lunch in the cheaper Boathouse and then got lost in the Ramble. The “Imagine” mosaic in Strawberry Fields was being repaired, but it still brought back memories of being a teen in the sixties and knowing the words to every Beatles song. That evening we went to hear some Jazz at South Street Seaport. Again this was the River to River Festival that I had found on the internet before we left for the US and the Ed Palermo Big Band was terrific, playing the great music of Frank Zappa. It was just as much fun watching the audience as it was watching the band, great dancing from one couple, and the children with watching parents were so entertaining. That evening we went back to Ellens Stardust Diner as it was our last night and we’d enjoyed our visit earlier in the week so much. It didn’t disappoint – a fitting end to a fantastic week.

Thursday we had a late flight, so packed up and left our bags securely at RCA, booking a car to take us to JFK for 3:45 p.m. This morning, I realised how much R had enjoyed himself despite his bad start – he actually asked our regular coffee man on the corner of 49th if he had a job going!!! A little later on, near the Empire State Building, we came across a chap who was training the rickshaw riders. We got talking to him and watching the poor nervous riders out on the NY streets for the first time. R then said he could ride a bike, and would the gentleman consider him for a vacancy! The chap answered that his oldest rider was 65 so yes, it was a possibility!!

I bought a bracelet in Tiffanys, yes, Tiffanys! Really, my only purchase the whole week, so why not?

Oh, New York, we can’t wait to come back – what is it about this fabulous city that makes you want to return again and again …

In case you missed the pictures on the first part of this trip report:

…google.co.uk/hey.chris49/NewYorkJune2008

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

Great report. I loved both parts--thanks for posting!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

I did the Tenement tour in July one year and it was so hot in there, goodness only knows how you could stand it in the temperatures you experienced. Those paddle fans are good but I just recommended someone take a small battery operated thing with them.

Your trip sounds wonderful, I'm so glad your husband "got" it.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

I've really enjoyed your reports.

I know when nywhiz and I went up to TOTR we were both nervous because we have problems with heights but surprisingly we were fine too. I have a theory that it's just so high it doesn't feel real (the glass doesn't hurt either!)

When we were at the Tenement Museum 3 years ago this week, we were given battery operated fans and I still couldn't manage without sitting down several times. Well done you!

Also, good for you for getting your little blue bag, why not eh?

I'll look out for your next reports, I'm sure R will be dragging you back soon!

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

Seems that you had a good time despite the heat. Just think about those large families living in those tenements in that type of heat and not just for a couple of hours.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

nyc10025, I think that was uppermost in our minds as we toured the building. I really can't imagine what it must have been like. Even when the tenements were first built there was no electricity or proper flushing WCs. How lucky we are in the 21st Century to have such comforts!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

Great trip report. Thanks for posting!

7. Re: Trip Report - Part 2 - June heatwave 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 19:16